TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, would the electricals work if I install this tranny in 97 T.car?
They both take the same tranny 4r70w? What about the electrical side?

Many thanks!

Also, would my stock Drive shaft fit the 01 tranny?

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Check near the End of my article in the WIP forum - the connector procedures to make the elctronics work are in there. I find it much easier to just repin the harness.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24156

Use the tailshaft housing from your current transmission. That is unless the 01 is a Police Interceptor, then the housings are the same too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver95Bird said:
Check near the End of my article in the WIP forum - the connector procedures to make the elctronics work are in there. I find it much easier to just repin the harness.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24156

Use the tailshaft housing from your current transmission. That is unless the 01 is a Police Interceptor, then the housings are the same too.
Thanks alot! Since its not a truck tranny - I don't have to follow steps 1-12 correct - exisitng MLPS(on 01 tranny) should work on 97?

I am getting the wireharness as well with the 01 motor and 01 tranny - can I use this new wire harness on my 1997 T.Car would still some modifications are needed

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I can't verify some of the details, because I don't have much Towncar experience... but the shift levers should be the same on the CV as on the TC.
The sensors may also be the same, but check the part numbers against each other. IF they are different use the 97's sensor.

The harness MAY work, but personally I'd avoid using it unless I had a wiring diagram to verify the wires are in the same places - they do sometimes.
I suggest repinning the connector on the existing vehicle's harness, because to swap over all the wires inside the trannies requires removing the valvebodies, and that just gets messy unless you are doing the J-mod at the time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The sensors may also be the same, but check the part numbers against each other. IF they are different use the 97's sensor."

Which sensors? On motor? Or tranny? Please elaborate - thanks for the reply though!

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
The MLPS.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The real question is is there any benefit to doing the tranny swap. If your old one still works well i'd leave it in and just upgrade it to the j mod. It sounds like your putting in an 01 engine so i'd just still with the old trans with the new engine to my nkowledge the bell housings are the same so save the extra effort i say. But thats my opion and i dont know if you trans is even good still or not.

Will

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mechman1984 said:
The real question is is there any benefit to doing the tranny swap. If your old one still works well i'd leave it in and just upgrade it to the j mod. It sounds like your putting in an 01 engine so i'd just still with the old trans with the new engine to my nkowledge the bell housings are the same so save the extra effort i say. But thats my opion and i dont know if you trans is even good still or not.

Will
Will - thanks for the info

My old trans is good - I have heard alot about J-mod, what does this mod do? shifts better? extend tranny's life?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
tutuluke said:
Will - thanks for the info

My old trans is good - I have heard alot about J-mod, what does this mod do?

shifts better? extend tranny's life?

EXACTLY

MG

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah the j mod makes it shift better and it generally lasts longer. The j mod was devoplped by the engineer whgo designed the transmission so you know he knows what hes talking about. The only reason he didn't engineer it in to production would be so for the average consumer the tbird would seem less like a hotrod and more like a luxury sport coupe. That and i imagine they wanted to keep it slower then the mustang like all the other screwy designs of the thunderbird parts.

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts