TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my Focus in the shop right now on the scan tool, trying to find a no-start that I keep thinking is just the fuel pump. I'd rather not drop the tank until I know for sure.
Pulling the fuel pump relay results in the KOEO test throwing a code for "fuel pump driver offline" but shows no codes other than EVR circuit fault (always has) when the relay is in place. Relay tested good anyway.
Scan tool shows two PIDs that I don't understand:
FP(%): 75.0
FPM(%): 100.0 (occasionally goes to 114.3?)

When cranking, FPM(%) drops to 0.0, and FP(%) drops to 48.0.
What could these two PIDs mean?

·
Registered
92 Posts
FPM is Fuel Pump Monitor
FP I have no clue what it stands for but it will have something to do with the fuel pump.

I would try reseting your inertia switch first. On a ford focus I can not remember where it is but the normal spots for it is ether in the trunk or behind one of the front kick panels.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Inertia switch is not tripped, although the switch could have gone bad. I want to think it's not the pump itself, because there's absolutely no sound from the pump, like it's just not getting power. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll check the inertia switch to see if it's any good because I forgot that they can go bad too.
I just thought maybe those PIDs might help find the problem, but I don't know what they are actually telling me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's the splitport with the single cam running... well, through the head. I love how they still call it OHC though.

I've actually completely forgotten about the car, but seeing this bumped reminded me I still need to figure that out.
Would a jumper wire work if I remove the switch? I've never messed with one so I don't know if it's supposed to be normally open or normally closed.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's the splitport with the single cam running... well, through the head. I love how they still call it OHC though.

I've actually completely forgotten about the car, but seeing this bumped reminded me I still need to figure that out.
Would a jumper wire work if I remove the switch? I've never messed with one so I don't know if it's supposed to be normally open or normally closed.
If the cam is in the head,it is an OHC engine.

OHC= Over Head Cam
OHV=Over Head Valve
DOHC=Dual Over Head Cam

Yes, you can jump around the switch,but I wouldn't drive it that way.In normal operation the switch is closed.In an accident in opens and breaks the flow of electrons.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Your problem is the pump pick up in the tank is either broken or it has been bent up at some time, and it should be almost touching the bottom and yours would be about 2or3" up so when its still 1/4 you cannot pick it up .So take out the pump and fix the problem, or take into the garage and tell them what to do ..NOT unless you have a faulty gauge sitting on 1/4 and it is EMPTY.But thats one of the two problems it can be this is what happend to a focus 2001 that I have fixed like yours

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've put the car aside since I do not have the time to work on it right now. I'm 99% sure that there is no problem with the pickup being broken or bent up, as it was running fine and now is spontaneously not working with no fuel pump sound at all. The only code that ever appears (other than the most likely unrelated EVR code) is for the fuel pump driver being offline only when the fuel pump relay is removed.
I've just lost the time to work on it, and it's not an important car so I'm not worried about it at the moment.

And I love the explanation on the differences between OHV/OHC/DOHC because I commented on the fact that this overhead cam engine is moreso an... in-head... cam engine. The next time someone tries to explain something simple to me, I'm going to start explaining the W12 or the inline 5 to them. In detail.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts