TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 Exploder motor (I have not put it in my car yet) has the all plastic intake. I was considering upgrading to the one with the aluminum crossover. I called Dan and he told me he is having a special on them... $175 shipped. He continued to tell me that the water tube (in the valley) and the nipple for it has a different p/n for the GT and Exploder. He didn't know the difference, just that there is a different p/n. Does anyone know if I need to change the nipple and tube if I change to a GT intake? I am holding off my order until I know.

I am also curious about the power rating difference between the GT and Exploder. I believe the Exploder motor is rated at 239HP while the GT is rated at 260HP. Is this difference in the intake? Cams? Other? I am just wondering if I will get an extra 21 horses (and whatever torque) with this intake.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I replaced the nipple just to prevent future leaks (cheap insurance) You just have to remove the water pump and tap the old one out, then tap the new one in. The only difference in the coolant tubes is the way they mount in the rear of the engine - one has a slightly longer tube, but either will work. You will need a foot or so of heater hose to make the connection to the heater core with either one.

The engine/heads/intake runners are exactly the same on the Explorer engine as the GT. The difference in the power ratings is due to the single exhaust on the Explorer, and a more aggressive tune on the GT. The only difference in the intake is the coolant nipple location - Explorer has it in the front, GT in the rear like the Tbird. The Explorer intake will work just fine (and make just as much power) but you will have to re-route your heater hoses and worry about the plastic crossover cracking in the future.

Hope that helps

Frank

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You will not need the nipple and tube, as those are needed when going from NPI to PI, not plastic to Al.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts