TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a complete 2002 Explorer motor on the way from Greenleaf.

I have heard different things about the injectors.

If the motor is complete am I correct in thinking all I have to do is cut the plugs off the explorer harness and put them on the cougar harness, or would it be easier to swap to the injectors out of my MN12 motor, since I am changing to the 96/97 fuel rail?

Any other little caveats from those of you that have done this swap? I think I have everything i need for the swap either in the mail or here already.

-mj

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Not sure on the rating, but if the 02 block comes with other than 19lb injectors, you'd NEED a reburn. using the stock injectors would save you a reburn.

The injectors should use the same harness connectors.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I've heard that the injectors that come on the explorer engine are shorter than the ones on our engines, so if you where to try to use the explorer injectors with a '96/'97 fuel rail, I don't think they would fit properly. I do know from looking at my engine, that the explorer injectors do use a different plug than the ones on our cars. It's also possible that the injectors could have a different impedance than ours.

Just things you want to make sure of before you do any cut-and-pasteing.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Actually the injectors are a little longer and skinny compared to the stock 95's. I would reuse your stock injectors but hey it's your car.

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Blown94SC said:
Actually the injectors are a little longer and skinny compared to the stock 95's. I would reuse your stock injectors but hey it's your car.
Nope..
the '02 Explorer injectors are the same length,and rating as the Tbird older style.They use the oval shaped electrical connector(so you'll have to splice those into your harness),and will work perfectly on the '95 rails,but then again,so would the early injectors. I use the 24/lb-hr version from an '01 Cobra on my car,with the stock '97 rails,and with the late model connectors spliced into the OE Tbird harness.
JL

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
GreenBird said:
when did ford change the connectors (if there was a certain date :rolleyes: )?
it's hit-and-miss on what cars have the newer style injector.The '03 Cobras all have them,the Explorers with the 4.6L have them,as well as most all of the '01 Cobras too.
JL

·
Registered
610 Posts
I stand corrected by an expert. Thanks for saving us with all your expertise :leftright

Johnny Langton said:

Nope..
the '02 Explorer injectors are the same length,and rating as the Tbird older style.They use the oval shaped electrical connector(so you'll have to splice those into your harness),and will work perfectly on the '95 rails,but then again,so would the early injectors. I use the 24/lb-hr version from an '01 Cobra on my car,with the stock '97 rails,and with the late model connectors spliced into the OE Tbird harness.
JL

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
From a strictly technical perspective there are slight differences according to the measurements posted in the FRPP catolog but it apears in practical terms according to JL the measuremnt we are looking at doesn't matter. According to FRPP the overall length of the EV6 explorer style injector is 74.7-73.7mm tip to tip while the EV1 that the tbird uses is 77.35 tip to tip the more important measurement seems to be o-ring to o-ring which is the same 60.7 vs 60.8. Good info for all concerned. What I would like to know is there an advantage of using the EV6 over the EV1 such as spray pattern

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
If you are looking for a set of newer early style injectors, I have a set of injectors from an 01 GT, 19lbs same style as the T-bird will sell $60 shipped.:D

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
timb said:
From a strictly technical perspective there are slight differences according to the measurements posted in the FRPP catolog but it apears in practical terms according to JL the measuremnt we are looking at doesn't matter. According to FRPP the overall length of the EV6 explorer style injector is 74.7-73.7mm tip to tip while the EV1 that the tbird uses is 77.35 tip to tip the more important measurement seems to be o-ring to o-ring which is the same 60.7 vs 60.8. Good info for all concerned. What I would like to know is there an advantage of using the EV6 over the EV1 such as spray pattern
With this in mind should I then consider using the injectors that are already on my Explorer engine, as they don't have 140k miles of use on them already?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
What a shameless plug;)

I am anxious to hear others "in the know" weigh in on this.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
LOL...that was a shameless plug...wiring is bad...I dunno though...my expenses sure are racking up!

$1150 - motor
$220 - TC/Flexplate
$300 - Apten Chip
$??? - rails, lines, etc...over $150 easily
Already bought my MAF for close to $200, and my new instrument cluster from LX-Tasy, and now buying a set of '97 Sport wheels for the Thunderbird...

AHHHHHH!!!!

I'll let you know.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Do not have to tell me how quickly money adds up. Like they said, double whatever you budget and you will be right on as far as the $$ go.:(

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
My project has kind of gone to another level. I have to get a bunch of stuff yet. Mostly things that do not necessarily need to be changed but I want to and others, like the headers, I want to. Hopefully by spring of next year. The $$ I need are just coming slower than I anticipated and like I said, I bought somestuf and changed my mind about what I wanted to do. So I have somethings that will be sold, like the injectors. I'll have some other stuff available shortly also.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts