TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to replace the motor in my 97 cougar with a 2002+ explorer as MadMikeyL suggested. I have found the motors on ebay, what other pieces will I need.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i would use the search function. i have not done this swap however it has been talked about and well documented on here before. just trying to save you from some flaming about asking that question. good luck.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I think you will also need the 94/95 front cover for the explorer motor?

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
95xbird said:
I think you will also need the 94/95 front cover for the explorer motor?
Right you are. Everything else from your 96-97 will swap right over. You will need to use the Tbird oil pick up tube and pan and oil filter adapter. Basically treat the explorer motor like a long block and swap over all your sensors...fuel rails...exhaust manifolds...oil dipstick tube....you get the idea. If you have any questions just post and I'll try to get back as soon as I can. I'm on the road right now but try to get online at night.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
master486 said:
Right, forgot about that. Just to be sure, is this because there is a bolt hole that doesn't line up?
Ya,
The swap is pretty straight foreward.Just try to stay with the 02 model because some of the newer motors carry fly by wire.You wont need any extra parts with your 97 set up but it will save you some time.Like Timb said if you need any help feel free to PM.I will be more than happy to help you out as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts