TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I hope this hasn't been already answered but I searched for the last hour and couldn't find what I was looking for, so here it goes. I have a 97 tbird and I have decided on doing an 02+ explorer motor swap. I already have some Renegade Racing PnP PI heads with comp cams 270s (i'm pretty sure), titanium retainers, ss valves, etc, etc, a bullit intake (non ported), and kooks headers sitting around waiting for install. On the car right now I have ART true duals, 373 rear end, 2800 stall, 90mm LMAF, dynatech MMC driveshaft. So my question is will the explorer block be able to handle all of this without going with forged internals? No plans on supercharging, I just want the motor with my heads, intake, headers, tune and all my other parts. Is this possible or will the motor take a crap on me with these parts. Thanks, sorry if this has been posted before. BTW, is it only 02 or are 03 and 04 aluminum as well?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you should be ok

all of those explorer blocks were aluminum as far as i am aware

·
6,253 Posts
he was asking about 02 - 04

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
i believe explorers didn't have the aluminum blocks until '02
Well, yes. But that was also the first year for the 4.6 Explorer. So any 4.6 out of an Explorer will be aluminum.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, sounds great everyone. So internals should be fine then as long as I don't do any FI? Thanks for the fast replies! And thats what I thought about the aluminum blocks being in the 02-04, not just the 02s.

·
6,253 Posts
you'd prolly wanna up the stall on the converter...

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you'd prolly wanna up the stall on the converter...
Ok jamesD, what stall would you recommend going to? Also what about the injectors and fuel pump, should these be upgraded as well??? Will the stock trans with J-mod handle all this power or will that have to built up too? Just wanna get everything in place before going through with this. Thanks! :)

·
6,253 Posts
from what everyone is sayin.. if you drive in snow.. keep it around 3200.. if no snow, you can go from 35-3800

injectors, you might need 24#ers (i have a set i'd let go cheap :zdevil:)

the stock trans with jmod should be ok for a while. you'd also need a bigger cooler for the higher stall because of the extra heat. ultimately, you might want to get an upgraded trans, the OWC is much better than the stock piece of crap

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
from what everyone is sayin.. if you drive in snow.. keep it around 3200.. if no snow, you can go from 35-3800

injectors, you might need 24#ers (i have a set i'd let go cheap :zdevil:)

the stock trans with jmod should be ok for a while. you'd also need a bigger cooler for the higher stall because of the extra heat. ultimately, you might want to get an upgraded trans, the OWC is much better than the stock piece of crap
I already have an external trans cooler (did that when i did my 2800 stall). What is the OWC btw? Thanks, much appreciated!:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
im doing crower II cams in my 02 block, how do you know what yours should be degreed to for best power? Just try them and then take it to the track/ dyno and re set them based on your times or is thjere a set number of degree?

·
6,253 Posts
cams need to be degreed for each engine. there are subtle differences in the timing gears on the crank and attached to the cam. some can be off by several degrees

as far as OWC, that is the mechanical one way clutch in the trans. check out the tech articles link from the main site and read Ford OD trans 101. tell ya all aboot it

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
Cool, sounds great everyone. So internals should be fine then as long as I don't do any FI? Thanks for the fast replies! And thats what I thought about the aluminum blocks being in the 02-04, not just the 02s.

Don't rule out FI as long as you stay sensible. I have been running 6 psi on my explorer motor for 90,000 miles now.

·
6,253 Posts
so, like i said.. i have a set of clean frpp 24#ers.. i think they're new,only fitted, never used.. $100 shipped priority mail to your door

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
05's are also aluminum blocks. To bad they didn't slap on aluminum blocks on the 06+ 3v's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts