TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I use for an oil pump in the new Explorer motor...

Will the new oil pump work or do I need a TBird one? Pickup tube? I am picking up a M8 pan tomorrow, but need to know what oil pump I need

IRS Bushings? Where can I get these for the 3.73 pumpkin? Anyone have a part # for someone like Energy Suspension? Rich is out of stock for about 2 more weeks :/

Thanks for any help

-mj

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I'm almost positive the pump is the same, but I know you need to change the pickup and put the Cougar/Thuderbird pickup in...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks Palmguy, I missed that. I am not 100% sure but he made need the Mark VIII P/U then. Need JL to chime in on this one. I have a Mark pan and got the Mark tube but am also going to run the Cobra oil pump. Try the good old "search" button and see what shows up. I know this topic has been covered before.:cool:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen in another thread confirmed that the mn12 pickup would work fine with the FN10 pan. Only thing i wasn't clear on was the pump

-mj

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Here's the rundown...
Most all 4.6L 2V's use the same pump,just a different pickup tube based upon the pan used for the chassis that the engine is going it.
'93-'96 Marks use the same pump with a small diameter pickup tube(same diameter as the TBird),and the Mk8 pan.
'97-'98' Marks use the Cobra spec oil pump with the '97-'98 Mark pickup tube(it's the larger diameter-same as the Cobra),and the Mk8 pan.
The Explorer pump will work fine with the TBird pickup,just use the Tbird or a Mk8 pan.
JL

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Picked up my M8 pan today through car-part.com at Viking Auto Salvage in Northfield MN. $35

Was a little beat up on the bottom from the engine pull, and had a small dent in that extra baffle box, but I can't complain for the price :)

-n0esc

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
281_tuner said:
i got a 97-98 markviii oil pickup tube and im going with an oil pan between markviii and tbird oil pans,dont know yet all depends on what i run into when i get my motor ready for installation,see if i can get a deal on the markviii pan,thanks
tom BOgle
The 97-98 Mark pickup tube is a bigger diameter tube designed for the 97-98 Mark/Cobra high volume pump, so if you intend to use the bigger diameter tube, you'll need to change the pump... which pan you use doesn't matter, it's the pump...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Do not quote me on this but I believe that the FRPP pump is the 96-98 Cobra oil pump. That should work fine. To be sure check with Dan Newman.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
281_tuner said:
97 high volume old pump from (frpp) will that due?thanks
tom bogle
I'm pretty sure the FRPP "High Volume" oil pump is the same as the "Cobra" oil pump which is the same as the "Mark VIII" oil pump. And they all require the larger diameter pickup tube/screen. I seem to remember going around and around about this with Max when I ordered mine, before Dan settled in at Cooper Ford.

Call Dan, he'll make sure you get the right pump and tube at the right price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts