TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the 02 explorer motor swap for a 1994 a direct drop in like it is on the 96/97...if not what is needed to complete the swap into a 1994?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Palmguy said:
No it isn't, I'd recommend you search for "explorer swap", this has been discussed a lot.

:zwthstpd: I did it to my 95. Like he said, search. Easy swap too.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This is a list I made when doing mine. Hope it helps.
Rob

96/97 -
fuel rails with FPR
throttle cable
throttle cable bracket
forward fuel lines (from filter to rails)
EGR tube (the explorer one works if your engine comes with one)

PI parts
Mustang PI intake with updated cross-over
intake gaskets
oil filter/lower rad hose housing gasket (I mocked up both 95 and 02, and the 02 model sealed the best)
your choice of torque converter, Flexplate, and hardware (might as well with the engine out)

95 parts I replaced just to be safe
front cover gaskets (3 parts)
front cover crank seal
valve cover gaskets
oil pan gasket
exhaust manifold gaskets
t-stat housing o-ring
fuel injector o-rings
oil pick-up tube o-ring????
2 front 02 sensors

fuel filter, oil filter, mobil 1 oil, Mercon V, anti-freeze

will reuse from 95
Alternator bracket (can make mine work)
front cover
valve covers
oil pan
oil pick-up tube
dipstick
coil packs, plugs and wires (new)
fuel injectors
sensors
A/C compressor
alt
PS pump
oil filer adapter
Exhaust Manifolds

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
i know where you can get a full set of internals, block, crank, and some heads that need a wee bit of repair work.........................

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol joe...i might take you up on that offer....the bottom end is good rite? and i will need new PI heads or can those be repaird to new?.....lemme know and i might get that while im down there gettin the rearend housing....thanks joe

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
94V8Thunderbird said:
lol joe...i might take you up on that offer....the bottom end is good rite? and i will need new PI heads or can those be repaird to new?.....lemme know and i might get that while im down there gettin the rearend housing....thanks joe

yes, you will need new valve guides, a rod bearing, valves, and valve locks and retainers, I have the springs. Of course its available for a price.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically the heads need to be rebuilt...does it have cams? stock PI cams i mean...and it needs a rod bearing? so am i looking at a full rebuild?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn you joe lol...but basically i need an 02 explorer 4.6....and my front cover...and some gaskets and some vacuum line...thats about it?

·
Registered
245 Posts
girdnerg said:
This is a list I made when doing mine. Hope it helps.
Rob

96/97 -
fuel rails with FPR
throttle cable
throttle cable bracket
forward fuel lines (from filter to rails)
EGR tube (the explorer one works if your engine comes with one)

PI parts
Mustang PI intake with updated cross-over
intake gaskets
oil filter/lower rad hose housing gasket (I mocked up both 95 and 02, and the 02 model sealed the best)
your choice of torque converter, Flexplate, and hardware (might as well with the engine out)
so the explorer/mountanier intake wont work? And what is the FPR?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator and YES, the intake from the exploder/mountanier will work, I dont know why this dude is saying that. I'm using it.

I

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Tx_Cat said:
FPR = Fuel Pressure Regulator and YES, the intake from the exploder/mountanier will work, I dont know why this dude is saying that. I'm using it.

I

as am i. Just a wee modification for the coolant routing and temp sensor.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Tx_Cat said:

I
I said that because my explorer intake was not the updated one and didn't want to do the wee bit of modification to it (no T-fitting for me) or worry about it cracking down the road. The Mustang one has the rear coolant port in the correct place and all I had to do was have the cross-over tapped for the second temp sensor ($10).

I just felt that I had invested so much money in the swap that I might as well do it right the first time with the best intake I could afford.

I have however found out that the coolant nipple in the back of the explorer intake can be opened up so you don't have to run a hose all the way from the front cross-over. The one that came with my engine is now on my bro's 97 Cougar with the rear heater core nipple being used.

Sorry if I made it sound like it was mandatory to change the intake. At the time everyone was suggesting to change it if I could afford it and not keep the all composite one. I got all my advice/help from the "Explorer Pioneer" on this site.

Rob

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
girdnerg said:
I got all my advice/help from the "Explorer Pioneer" on this site.

Rob
And I can gaurantee you know as much as I do now....maybe more since it's been three years since I did my swap and my memory isn't that great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts