TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im putting an 02 explorer engine w/ crower II cams in my '94 bird. I know just the explorer engine by itsself will fire up and run ok on the t-birds cpu until it can get to a shop for a better tune( i have read that from this site). But will my explorer engine fire up ok after i finish the swap if it already has crower 2 cams installed?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
probally r&e raceing. I think ill dyno it there.. the engine just has to be able to drive me 14 miles to get there..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah.... by the way anyone know where i can find a valvestem and the guide it follows on. It looks like that metal guide/bushing is pressed into the head. i might have to take it to a shop to get it out and a new one put in yeah? I tried to move it with a hammer but it didnt budge and i stopped b4 i damaged anything.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well the valvestem is part of the entire valve.....both the valve and the valve guide can be purchased from any ford dealer, local to you or otherwise online....and yes the guide needs to be pressed out

why do you need to remove the valve guide?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i used a hammer to tap out the valvestem 1/2 of the valveguide came with it. Yes, it broke. I should have just cut off the valvestem from the inside and then pulled it out toward the cam. But you learn as you go i guess.

Master486, Do you have any of the stuff for the clutch such as hydrolic throw out, lines, resivoir ect? Im changing this auto tbird to a standard so i need all the parts from the SC. Well thats the direction i plan to go because i think it will be easiest.

I dont need the clutch, just everything from clutch petal to where it connects to the trans.

My old tbird engines valvestem looks like its a little bit smaller than the explorers so that ...... sucks i guess..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
i went to a shop, "adams metalizing and grinding" that was reccomended to me. I think he just built a new valve and bushing. Cost $65 for the bushing, valve, and installiation. He was going to charge me $40 if he had to take off exhaust manifold and take out the cam; redicleus. It took me about 10 minutes to get it ready for him and save $40. Probally took the guy like 30 -40 minutes to do the job max, but i couldnt do it myself. I do think he did a good job and he cleaned up my head.

Im having issues with figuring out how to do the cam timing. i have a degreeing kit from summit with an 11 inch degree wheel. I am doing research to figure out how exactly to do this timing . I plan to do some grinding and reposition the cams to the correct degree if they are off. I have been reading and i saw a video on a ford pinto but any information would be great or some website that has the info ect..

edit---
think i found what i needed...
http://www.fordmuscle.com/fundamentals/camdegreeing/index.shtml

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/53891-how-do-you-set-cam.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts