TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and read all of the posts and I'm confused. Originally, I was going to go with the '02 GT MAF, airbox, and tube; however, now that I have read the '03 will work and is cheaper I might do that instead. Here is my question: Which is going to be easier for a newbie with few tools and even fewer skills to install? The one that is easier will be the one I go with.

I see that Jim Phelps has written an article covering the install for the '03 MAF and wiring harness. Does anyone know where I can find a step-by-step for an '02 if it is easier to install?

It's the wiring part of this upgrade that worries me the most -- particularly since I have no idea what the IAT looks like. :confused:
 

·
Amateur Expert
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
yinzerpunk said:
I did a search and read all of the posts and I'm confused. Originally, I was going to go with the '02 GT MAF, airbox, and tube; however, now that I have read the '03 will work and is cheaper I might do that instead. Here is my question: Which is going to be easier for a newbie with few tools and even fewer skills to install? The one that is easier will be the one I go with.

I see that Jim Phelps has written an article covering the install for the '03 MAF and wiring harness. Does anyone know where I can find a step-by-step for an '02 if it is easier to install?

It's the wiring part of this upgrade that worries me the most -- particularly since I have no idea what the IAT looks like. :confused:
I believe the '02 MAF uses seperate MAF wiring and IAT wiring. The IAT on a stock inlet system is actually in the upper part of the airbox where the paper filter resides. You can see the wires come down the same place where the MAF wires come from. The '02 is easier because that system does NOT require you to rewire the harness to work correctly. That had the IAT sensor located upstream of the MAF in a bung in the inlet tube. So, get the '02, plug it in to your existing MAF harness and get the '02 intake tube with the bung provision for the IAT sensor. Or, you could get the '03 and a new harness and do what I did in my article.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,178 Posts
From what I've been told, the 03 is a remanufactured 02 ... some say the 02's didn't use the IAT sensor in the MAF, and ran a separate one, yet my 02 MAF has 6 pins- indicating the IAT is in there.
You can either find a way to plug your IAT in the airtube (seems like a pain), or talk to Dan Newman and see if he's got the updated 6 wire pigtail (a little cut/splicing, but cleaner than messing with the airtube, IMO). Also check with him and see what the going price is on 02 vs. 03 and see if you can find what the current deal is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
I have the 03 tube and the 03 Maf . (This is the same MAF Dan sells with the airbox.) I didn't have to buy a new harness eather. My 97 has 4 wires in the MAF harness and two extra holes that were covered so i just drilled them out and put the other two Maf wires through the holes, these two wires are for the IAT. Also the 03 GT tube has the IAT slot covered.
 

·
Amateur Expert
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
Ashish said:
My 97 has 4 wires in the MAF harness and two extra holes that were covered so i just drilled them out and put the other two Maf wires through the holes, these two wires are for the IAT.
Ummm....

There's only 4 wires coming from the EEC to the stock MAF, so even if you put the IAT wires through the holes, they wouldn't be connected unless you spliced them into the existing IAT wires.

Am I missing something?
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
in 02 they intergrated the IAT into the MAF.

You should buy a 03 wiring pigtail for ~$10, cut all four MAF wires, and both IAT wires, and slice accordingly. Article is on www.mtcforum.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,205 Posts
Embalmer said:


Ummm....

There's only 4 wires coming from the EEC to the stock MAF, so even if you put the IAT wires through the holes, they wouldn't be connected unless you spliced them into the existing IAT wires.

Am I missing something?
The extra 2 wires are for the IAT sensor, you just cut yours, and connect them to the harness, so you are using the IAT built in the MAF, no big deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I think I have a better understanding of what is going on now. If the '02 is set up with four wires going to the MAF and two going to IAT, then I could just plug them in. But, I'd have to get an older tube (Charlez used a '99 in this post http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31709). This set up would require no wire splicing or messing around the the tube. Is this correct? There seems to be some disagreement about this.

The '03 has the IAT and MAF wiring going to the MAF harness, so all six wires would have to be spliced. A new harness would be needed as well as a wire loom. Would I be able order the harness and loom along with the MAF?

About how long would this take to install? Just so I have an idea what to expect.
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
yinzerpunk said:
If the '02 is set up with four wires going to the MAF and two going to IAT, then I could just plug them in.
Correct, except the 02 has SIX wires. 96-01 has four.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are there any performance differences between an '02 and an '03?
 

·
Amateur Expert
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
yinzerpunk said:
Are there any performance differences between an '02 and an '03?
I wouldn't necessarily call a MAF a performance part. Most people with stock engines running larger MAF's are doing it because they have a larger diameter housing for "better airflow" or they have a better transfer function. When I did it, I figured if I was using cylinder heads from a Mustang GT, I'd better use the same MAF.
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
yinzerpunk said:
Are there any performance differences between an '02 and an '03?
02 and 03 should be exactly the same.

You goto a larger MAF because you need to replace it. The stock one will peg after some mods, making you run lean. The 02 GT has a larger range, so you won't peg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,178 Posts
GB is right. You upgrade a MAF for the transfer function, not the restriction difference. I think it's been proven that all NPI intakes are much much more restrictive than the MAF is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, now I understand a little better. So, if I'm not planning to make a lot of mods to the engine then updating the MAF probably wouldn't be worth it. Right?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top