TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an 02 GT tranny to install in my 97 t-bird. :) If I understand the j-mod correctly for an 02, all I need to do is drill the seperator plate. Is this correct? Do I already have the updated accumlators & springs? Anything else I need to do? I'm only looking for 300rwhp with my new setup, so I don't need the higher hp settings. I did look over the j-mod articles, but didn't see this addressed specifically, in regards to switching in a newer model tranny. I believe I also need to switch my EPC & TCC & MPLS over to the new tranny, and I'll need to repin the harness for my 97. Am I missing anything here?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I PM'd ya back. If you have questions, you've come to the right place. These guys are great about answers. You'll find alot of the younger guys have done a lot more with their cars than we old folks thought possible. Thank God for TCCoA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think you have it covered. I just did all this crap over the course of two days, and that's all I did. You may want to flush your tranny lines, and be careful about how you re-pin your harness. I did mine twice, because the first time I did it backwards. Boy, that would've been fun......

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
7,645 Posts
you guys change your TCC?

it must be year specific to your car

also, you need to swap your vss (vehicle speed sensor) and will need the purple speedo gear w/ 3.27s unless you swap output shafts

·
Registered
20 Posts
What do you mean swap the VSS???? I used the one for my year. Is this not correct? Remember, my trans is out of a 2000 stang, and my car is a 93 Mark 8. Should I have gone with teh VSS for the 2K stang????

What are the syptoms of using an incorrect VSS???????

Help!

·
7,645 Posts
no no no hehehe

you did it right.. just wanted to make sure you used the VSS from your car as well

the 99+ stangs don't have VSS.. no speedo gear

·
7,645 Posts
hmmm... i have a 99-00 trans sitting right here.. and it doesn't have a speedo gear..

yes a 2k stang trans and 93vss do mix...

most of the newer trans have a OSS no gear, it reads off a pulse wheel i think. the unit i pulled off had a little metal sensor like what the crank sensor has, but the plug is identical to our VSS plug. you did ok.. no worries

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
nitrotn97 said:
Do I already have the updated accumlators & springs? I believe I also need to switch my EPC & TCC & MPLS over to the new tranny, and I'll need to repin the harness for my 97.
You may want to change out the springs on the 1-2 and remove the 2-3 spring. The 02 mustang has different spring setups from what Jerry calls for in the article and I am not sure if they will give you the shift you want or not. My guy at Ford said the F75Z-7F284-AA and F7AZ-7F284-BA springs that Jerry calls for are not the same as the 1W7Z-7F284-AA and 1L3Z-7F284-AA that are in the 02 GT tranny. So, you may want to change those out.
The accumulator pistons are fine.
You will need to use your MLPS, but the other electronics will work fine for you since you have a 97. Definitely use the EPC from the new tranny and why bother having to change out the TCC and modify it to work with the new connector when you don't have to.
You are correct about having to repin the harness and there is a great article over in the Thunderbird section of Modular Depot written by Scott. It is the most valuable tool you can have to make sure you get it right the first time. You can find it here
I would send Alan your converter to have him give you a little more stall and send him the reverse drum to have the mechanical diode welded too. No sense going this far and leaving a weak link when it is that easy to get to.

Good luck and take care
Darrin

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
jamesD said:
hmmm... i have a 99-00 trans sitting right here.. and it doesn't have a speedo gear..

yes a 2k stang trans and 93vss do mix...

most of the newer trans have a OSS no gear, it reads off a pulse wheel i think. the unit i pulled off had a little metal sensor like what the crank sensor has, but the plug is identical to our VSS plug. you did ok.. no worries
AFAIK, only the 03+ don't have the teeth on the output shaft for the vss. You sure something isn't confused there? Sounds like either youre thinking of the wrong sensor or the trans you got was from an 03 not a 99-00 .

·
7,645 Posts
no.. it is a confirmed 99-00

when i pulled the sensor where the speedo gear is supposed to be.. it not there..just ends in a stub w/a little metal sensor disc at the end like the crank/cam sensors. i gave Jason the part number and he said that is OSS part #

i'm confused heh.. cuz ya, as far as i knew.. only 03+ had that problem..

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
That isnt adding up. I'd start searching it for part numbers that would give it away as being newer than 00. The OSS is on the case itself, the VSS is in the quarter sized hole in the output shaft housing. We've had people swapping in these trannies from tons of various years/vehicles and never had a problem with a pre-03 before. I just dont see how you'd have a one-off 99-00 trans unlike every other one. I wonder if the PN is still readable on the VB gasket. 2003 should be something like 1L3E or some such thing.

·
7,645 Posts
we ran part # off the VB and it is an early 99.. pan still had the 98 TSB sticker on it, and pan was never dropped, had the little white thing in there
i gonna go look again real quick..

speedo gear goes into tailshaft right? i have a little white plastic tab that slides in.. thats it..

JD

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Silver95Bird, James is saying his trans didn't have a VSS sensor in it, which makes sense. It still has the gear on the output shaft though, so you can bolt one on. 99 Mustangs didn't have a VSS mounted there, so it was blocked off with a cover plate.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I thought all of those covers were simply for keeping junk out of the housing during shipping... so then it does have a speedo gear. The way he said it, it sounded like his output shaft had no gear teeth on it. Okie dokie, carry on...

·
7,645 Posts
if it has a cover, it will most likely have the splines on the output shaft

if it has no cover, you can bet it probably won't have splines on the shaft and both the output shaft and extension housing will need to be swapped (most 03+)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.