TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after 120k miles, my '96 Bird 4.6L decided it needed a new head gasket, as rare as that is. Instead of sinking the money into the engine, I've purchased a '02 Mustang GT engine.

I've also purchased the Mark VIII TC/Flexplate to fix my shudder problems, current revision JBA Headers, and have left a message with Dennis R. about a chip.

I've extensively used the search function on the board, and see that many of you have switched to 99+ PI engines.

I've gotten all sorts of tidbits off individual posts, but have yet to find any complete walk-throughs for making the switch. I'm especially interested in what parts I need to salvage from my old 4.6L and if there are any modifications that need to be made to the new engine or my frame.

I know there was an issue with the freeze plug hitting the motor mounts on some year model engines, but I believe the '02 is the romeo engine and this is no longer a problem. I'm assuming I need to buy a totally new airbox, MAF, and intake tube, but I'm not sure. Also I know the ignition systems are different, and the oil pans must be switched. I had SVO pulleys on my old 4.6, and I'd like to know if I can use them on the new engine.

At any rate, if anybody has made a walk-through or can provide me with detailed information, preferably about the '02 year model, I would greatly appreciate it. Feel free to PM me.

I'm having the work done at a local engine shop where some of my friends work and any information I can provide them about known issues would save me lots of headaches.

Thanks in advance,

Nathan

·
Registered
353 Posts
i don't know if you have an svo water pump pulley in the set, but in mid 2001 ford redesigned the water pump with a shorter shaft. your water pump pulley would not match the 2002 since the shaft is shorter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is what you need to salvage

fuel rails, fuel presure regulator (better yet buy a new one), coil packs, oil pan, oil pick up tube, oil filter-rad.hose adapter, EGR tube, exhaust manifolds, timming chain cover( only if the GT belt pattern interferes with the a/c lines)

T-birds use two temp sensors, one for the gauge and one for the computer.You'll have to relocate the temp gauge sender because the GT intake has only one temp sensor port. Most who have done this swap tapped the sender into the heater hose in back of the engine. A few like myself just drilled out the thermstat housing and screwed the sender in with sealer or JB Weld. I'm going on one year with no leaks.
You can use the GT air box and intake tube with an 80mm or 90mm LMAF (highly recommended) or the 02 GT MAF. No mods to the frame need to be done and I don't think you need to worry about the mounts with the 02 engine. You'll need to upgrade to larger diameter exhaust pipes or buy a true duel exhaust and T-bird headers (or extrude hone the T-bird exhaust manifolds) to get the most out of this engine. Have fun!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for the info.

The engine has been delivered from Greenleaf, and the mechanic is working on switching all the necessary parts. Engine looks great.

One thing that's odd, the engine is from a '02 year model, and has a 6 bolt crank, however the oil fill is on the passenger side, not the drivers side. I thought all '02 romeo engines with 6 bolt cranks had the oil fill on the drivers side?

Any thoughts or am I mistaken?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found an answer at the Corral. It seems some of the '02' romeo engines still have the oil fill on the passenger side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally got the engine installed last week, and it's driving very nice in the ~300 miles that I've driven it. Unfortunately I've got an intermittant problem and my mechanic is out of town until next week.

When we originally first tried to start the car, it wouldn't crank, but the starter was working fine, and it was getting fuel fine.

They plugged in their diagnostic equipment to the EEC, and it said no reading, like the EEC wasn't even connected.

Hoping it wasn't a fried EEC, they made a quick once over of all the electrical sensors and grounds on the car to make sure they had a good connection.

The EEC then registered and it cranked just fine after that.

Since then, I've had the problem happen to me twice. When it happened, I checked all the sensors and grounds I could see from the top of the engine bay, and the car started right up.

However this morning, it's not starting and no such luck when I fiddle with all the wires.

I'll take it in to my mechanic when he gets back next week, but in the mean time, I was wondering if anyone knew the list of sensors or grounds which would cause the car not to crank at all?

I've already tested the battery just on the off chance the answer would be that simple.

·
Eleventeenth Gear Poster
3,067 Posts
The crank sensor is one sensor you can check, it goes into the side of the front cover and is right next to the A/C condensor. My car did something similar before I put the new PI motor in. When we got the old motor out, we found what was causing it. It was a ground cable that had a hole worn throught the protective covering. I dont remember exactly where it grounds or what it was rubbing on, but I think it was rubbing on one of the power steering hoses or something in that area. I was gonna replace mine but ended up wrapping it real well in electrical tape with the intent to replace it later, that was about 4-5 months ago :rolleyes: The car hasnt done it since then though.

·
Registered
926 Posts
check for vacume leaks , and what maf are you using ???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It turns out this is an '03 engine. I'm using an '02 MAF. The car idles great, which it wouldn't be if there was a vacuum leak right?

After repeatedly checking the wiring connections in the vicinity of the A/C condensor area the car started just fine. This happened to me again today and after adjusting the wires it started up. I'll be dropping it off at the shop tomorrow to see if they can find what it is for sure.

This was definately a worthwhile upgrade, even though it was under bad circumstances that I had to make the decision. I still haven't opened it wide open but I can definately tell a nice seat-of-the-pants increase at all RPM levels I've driven the car at so far.

·
Registered
926 Posts
sorry I must have been thinking of another post , yes Im guessing one of your sensors lke the crank sensor is bad but its not that hard to replace , If you have any other questions feel free I just finished my engine swap 02 explorer motor I had a couple of bugs to work out but all in all Its running great

1 - 10 of 10 Posts