TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading this forum for awhile. Now I need some info/help. The dreaded "money light" CEL came on my 97 TB 4.6. After reading through this forum seems the cheapest way is Autozone, and not the dealer. Autozone came up with a P0156 02 sensor, bank 2 code. Seems this car has 4-02 sensors, and this particular one is bank 2, sensor 2. From what I can determine, this is the hardest one to replace.

Question is: Can a novice do this themself? I have some ramps I can put the car on and the basic tools. Is a special size socket required? I would like to give it a try myself, but need some advise here if it is just too tight a space to work in.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks......:)
 

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
Joined
·
2,917 Posts
If this helps any, here's instructions from the 1994 Service manual:

Removal and Installation

NOTE:
If excessive force is needed to remove heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), lubricate heated oxygen sensor with penetrating oil prior to removal.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Disconnect heated oxygen sensors from engine control sensor wiring.

3. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

4. Remove heated oxygen sensors from dual converter Y pipe using Oxygen Sensor Wrench T94L-9472-A.

5. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten heated oxygen sensors to 36-46 N-m (26-34 lb-ft).


I purchased an Oxygen Sensor socket from AutoZone -- they aren't very expensive, and made it easy to remove the sensors. All in all, I believe this is easy enough for a novice to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IronChopz said:
If this helps any, here's instructions from the 1994 Service manual:

Removal and Installation

NOTE:
If excessive force is needed to remove heated oxygen sensor (HO2S), lubricate heated oxygen sensor with penetrating oil prior to removal.

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Disconnect heated oxygen sensors from engine control sensor wiring.

3. Raise vehicle on hoist. Refer to «Section 00-02».

4. Remove heated oxygen sensors from dual converter Y pipe using Oxygen Sensor Wrench T94L-9472-A.

5. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten heated oxygen sensors to 36-46 N-m (26-34 lb-ft).


I purchased an Oxygen Sensor socket from AutoZone -- they aren't very expensive, and made it easy to remove the sensors. All in all, I believe this is easy enough for a novice to do.[/QUOT


Thanks for the reply and info. Before I go back to Autozone and buy the sensor, I just want to make sure I replace the correct sensor, it seems there are four of them. From the top looking down on the drivers side I can see a sensor right under the steering column, is this the correct one?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,136 Posts
Easy way to remember is bank 1 is the side with cylinder 1, bank two has cylinder 2, Sensor 1 is the first one on each side going from the engine back and Sensor two is the second one. IE Sensor one before first cat. Sensor two after cat.

Hope that was a little bit helpful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Midnight said:
Easy way to remember is bank 1 is the side with cylinder 1, bank two has cylinder 2, Sensor 1 is the first one on each side going from the engine back and Sensor two is the second one. IE Sensor one before first cat. Sensor two after cat.

Hope that was a little bit helpful


Thanks that is helpful. Looks to me that the sensor in question is Sensor two after the cat. Up on the ramps for this bird........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Here's my 2¢ on the O2 issue. My 96 cougar with 110,000 had the factory O2's. I got a P0420 code which is basically telling you that your cat is dead.

Well, a dead cat means replacing all 4 cats, since they all come together in a "Y" pipe.

Replace the catylatic convertor or replace the original O2's?

I started with replacing just one O2, but decided to replace all 4 oxygen sensors instead. I'm glad i did. If one was punked out, then the other 3 would soon be on their way. Car runs great and the CEL was cleared and has not come back on.

Below was my original post to what i explained above.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=728842#post728842

Doing it yourself can be rough unless you can get the car up on a lift. The plastic plug is a $*@?% to get at. And you will need the special socket they sell too. I tried getting mine out, and gave up. I paid $90 to have all 4 put in. I bought my own parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,966 Posts
Grocery Getter said:
Thanks that is helpful. Looks to me that the sensor in question is Sensor two after the cat. Up on the ramps for this bird........
GG, FYI, keep the reciept for the sensor. I got a Bosch OE specific sensor last summer and got a P0172 last week, bank 1 lean.....it ended up being the sensor they replaced it for free since it has a 1 year replacement warranty :)

joseph
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top