TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could we use '03 - '04 Mustang Cobra engine parts and supercharger on our TBird's 4.6? I'm guessing that it could be definatly done but, how much custom fabrication must be done and would our cast iron block be beefy enough? I ask because Ford used a cast iron block instead of aluminum to handle all the power better. Has anyone on here done this, or know someone who has done this? On wikipedia they were saying it was dynoing like 410-420 horse power from the factory!

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
You need everything from the Heads up.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If this could be done to the motor already in my 4.6 TBird (meaning no swap needed) I would so definatly do it!

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
you need to check into clearance of the ps pump and the alt. the k member is different from a 03 mustang. full 03 cobra motors with blower arent exactly cheap at the lowest your looking at 5-6K but you do get a forged bottom end. there are other options to obtain the same amount of performance for cheaper btw

if you do go the 03 route youll need the longblock custom headers possibly (03-04 cobra heads have bigger exhaust ports) ? exhaust system, wiring harness, fuel system ( newer fuel pumps are a variable voltage type of setup, ) and so much more to think about

edit: oh you have a v6 might want to upgrade the suspension too? theres going to be alot of weight up front

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
If this could be done to the motor already in my 4.6 TBird (meaning no swap needed) I would so definatly do it!
The swap would be easier than what you're talking about, and it would actually hold up to a little boost. Your stock bottom end won't last long at all with the 03-04 Cobra setup on top.

-Rod

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
now thats funny.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm talking about my OTHER MN12, a 1994 4.6L V8 TBird I got 2 weeks ago. Shes got the usualy early gen 4.6 leaky valve seals and I'm just trying to get idea of ways to go, cobra sounds almost over kill. Just would of been awsome to have a Cobra'd TBird, but I just need new heads and was thinking of upgrading, thats all really.

·
Registered
288 Posts
they're right, you're 2v bottom end will NOT hold up, the block is more than enough, but the pistons wont last long and the rods arent far from their limits.

plus if you just got the car 2 weeks ago, im willing to bet you're gonna have a lot of mounts and bushings to deal with before to long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts