·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a quote from local SVT dealer here in STL, and here's the rundown:

03 Cobra Rad: $263.80

03 Fan/Shroud: $233.38

Wiring Harness: $18.57

He said that he can give me a discount on this stuff, but I haven't called him to find out how much (can't be that much, otherwise he wouldn't make any money on the deal). Do these prices sound right??? It seems kind of high to me, but then again, it is new stuff and it's straight from Ford, so who knows. If any of you know where I can get this stuff cheaper, by all means, please advise. I have about $570 to work with, and all this stuff would leave me with only ~$50 left, and I was hoping to have enough to get a 24,000GVW Trans. cooler to go with the new radiator (B&M or similar). Gotta save what I can, as the torque converter needs to be replaced as well (time for Marauder upgrade):D

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends on where he is located at. If the shipping to St. Louis is more than about $40 for the rad., then I can get it for less here in town. I guess I'll email him and see what I can get done. Thanks for the tip. On to the mod..

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ask yourself this....do you really need that radiator? Whats wrong with the stocker? The cobras are 6-speeds, so the radiator will not have and trans coolant ports in it. I think you would need a much bigger trans cooler than a 24,000 GVW one. I think there are better things you could do for the money than a radiator you really dont need.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I don't know how hot it gets in MO... but the Cobra radiator makes a big difference here in FL. I made the swap last summer and I ran a lot cooler on the street and at the track..

So ask yourself this... Is your car running hot??? Do you want it to run cooler??? And aside from the cooling factor, it's a much nicer unit than the OEM. All aluminum, rather than half plastic...

As far as the trans cooler is concerned, you will have to add the trans cooler. Having an external cooler for these automatic transmissions is a very good idea anyway. Most guys around here do it along with the J-mod. I'm not sure why it's been suggested you need bigger than 24,000, that's about what I have on my stock '95.. the biggest B&M makes is 28,000 and that's what I have on my slightly modified '96, so I think the 24,000 will do you fine. A lot of guys go with that kit 'cause is comes with all the fitting you need.

Anyhow, if you want the Cobra rad.. The difference between $189 and $263 is $74. Call Dan Newman. He's in Oklahoma. The radiator does not weigh much.. shipping is not going to be much at all. I don't know what they are getting for the shroud now, but I paid $120 for it last summer.

You don't need the whole wiring harness, you only need a connector on one side or the other. The MN12 connector is a different shape, but has the same number of wires. The color codes are different, but we can help you with that when the time comes. And if it turns out the only way to do it is with the harness, Dan will not charge $18 for it...

If you call Dan and tell him you want to make the Cobra rad swap into an MN12, he'll know what connector you need...

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CobraRThunder said:
Ask yourself this....do you really need that radiator? Whats wrong with the stocker? The cobras are 6-speeds, so the radiator will not have and trans coolant ports in it. I think you would need a much bigger trans cooler than a 24,000 GVW one. I think there are better things you could do for the money than a radiator you really dont need.

Thanks for the tip on the cooler, I wasn't sure. I plan on getting an external cooler as well, in prep. for the J-Mod in the summer. Trying to think ahead of the game an dbeing prepared so I don't have to keep upgrading parts that have already been done, just to install the next mod (e.g.= waste of money). It gets quite hot here in STL sometimes, so the extra cooling would be nice, plus, the A/C gets run in it, and sitting in rush hour traffic w/ the a/c on is not good unless you have something to compensate for it. Besides, what harm will the cooler do? Make my trans. last that much longer? I can't afford an Art Carr rebuild, so the crappy 95 is all I have to work with, so I have to treat it right. The rad. is all aluminum. I spend ~$200 on a nice new rad. and never worry about it again, or buy another stock one and wait 6 months for it to crack, just like the last one. I have put 2 rad. in this car since 99 when I bought it, and have spent way more than the cost of the 03 Cobra one, so I will be saving money in the long run, plus, my current one is leaking more everyday, so it's a matter of time. This is my wife's primary ride to work, so it has to be dependable for her, but fun for me. As far as other things, with the money that I can save going through Dan, I can buy a new TC, flexplate, mercon V, and do the J-mod in the spring/summer. I think it will be worth it. Besides, the agreement my wife and I have is- if something breaks, then it's time to upgrade while replacing it- no questions (man I wish the motor would take a s**t, can u say 5.4L? She gets piece of mind, and I get some fun. It's all good.:D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
FordMan77 said:
Depends on where he is located at. If the shipping to St. Louis is more than about $40 for the rad., then I can get it for less here in town. I guess I'll email him and see what I can get done. Thanks for the tip. On to the mod..
I bought the Cobra radiator, fan and wire, and if memory serves, it was like $200 less (total) than the price you are quoting, and the shipping from Joe cooper was not very expensive to New York.

I got the Cobra radiator not for extra cooling, but for its all aluminum/no plastic properties, since mine is leaking from the seam.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
JustinH said:
stock radiator here, i don't think i have room to fit the thicker 03 cobra rad, its kind of tight.
JH
Scott's gonna have to do some 'fancy footwork' to get all that plumbing to fit between the Cobra rad and the engine, but he's says it'll go.. It'll be interesting to see what he 'fabs' up to make it work. Chadg has the cobra rad on his vortech set-up.... I don't imagine there is much room to spare... Come to think of it, I haven't heard much from Minnesota lately, he must be hibernating.. brrrrrrr.....

On a stock application it fits just fine. After you swap the brackets right for left and upside down, it's almost a straight bolt on. The stock inlet/outlet/overflow hoses match right up. I've got some pix of the install posted on a thread somewhere. Looks factory.

-mike

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
From the conversation me and him had this evening it sounds to me like Chad has a few tricks up his sleeve for this spring....I wouldnt call him sleeping. :)....and yes MN is hibernating right now, BUT ITS WARMING UP!!!!

He has a little room left. Not much though.

I'll be putting one in with my AED in the next few weeks after the winter toys go on...... Even with the turned alt I should have a decent amount of room left. Great mod for the price IMO.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sure it will fit, as it has been mentioned. I have received prices from Dan, and it looks like a grand total of $351.73 + shipping. Not bad considering it was going to be well over $500 from the local places. I'm calling him monday and getting it ordered. Can't wait to ditch this piece of crap rad. that Ford put in here. I hate plastic tanks. And as I figured, this one is done. I just got a call from the wife saying that the damn thing split and pretty much emptied on her. Time to swap the orig. one back in temporarily (it wasn't completely bad, just leaking a bit- glad I'm a pack rat:D) and get it off the side of the highway. Yay... 20 degree weather, darkness, and Mardi Gras drunks doing 70 past me while I'm on the shoulder biting a mag-lite and freezing. Fun fun. Oh well, on a better note, I did get the mufflers off and pipe in it's place. Makes a slight difference, but still going for some custom bent exhaust when more money shows up. Thanks for the advice guys. Dan seems like a great guy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts