TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Not sure where to get them anymore but I do know you will need an external transmission cooler, as the cobra rad does not have a built in unit like the stock rad does.

As far as parts, the only thing that comes to mind is the rad, fan, and pigtail for said fan. Then you cut/splice the new pigtail into the existing harness and you are done. Then just flip the stock upper mounting brackets and they should bolt up to the Cobra rad. It's kind of a tight fit getting it in the stock mounts, but it will go. I thing the worst part is getting the lower rad. hose on, as the neck on the cobra rad seems to be a larger diameter.

This is what I remember from when I put one in my 95, so I may have missed a few things.

Jay

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Picked up my first pair from the Dealership in 03 ... wasnt too much more $$ to get the radiator + fan + pigtail over the cost of a stock replacement Radiator.

Then I broke the overflow nipple off and picked up a replacement from a local 03 Cobra owner - plenty of Mustang forums with spare parts out there. I still have the first Radiator ( practically brand new ) if you can TIG weld the nipple back on ... ;)

You should also elongate the holes for the rubber insulators at the bottom of the radiator support, the cobra ones are spaced further apart.

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
after more searching. is there anything wrong with using a replacement fan from rock auto? or should I try and find an OEM fan?

I'm confused. Why are there two different part numbers for the radiator? 2003 Cobra Radiator - 3R3Z-8005-BA is listed on this website as what I need and M-8005-C03** is listed on Fordracingparts.com. ?

seth

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
just bought my radiator from mustangmagic.com for $269 with free ground shipping. best price I could find. Thanks for the help.

One more question. I am looking at the generic fans from rockauto and the pictures show an electrical connection on the fan. Is that the pigtail? I contacted Rockauto and they said that it should come with what the picture shows. So, I may not need to buy a pigtail separate? Is this correct?

Seth

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
There is some kind of resistor built on to the fan's wiring .. if thats what you are talking about. You'll probably still need a pigtail harness.

·
Banned
754 Posts
I'm curious, what's better about putting the 03 cobra rad in? is it larger ?? how much better cooling efficiency does it offer over the stock 4.6L rad?

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
i just bought mine from the ford dealer for just under 190 bucks, got a super deal found a dealer trying to get reed of it had it 50 percent off and got the fan just under 95 bucks plus 20 bucks shipping on each item but still thats dirt cheap, and yes the radiator is bigger its like 1.5 inches thick and the stock is 1 inch thick, its a dual core radiator were as the stock is a single core, im using it for road racing, thats the only reason i need and tring to cool 450 horsepower and to be honest the stock radiator did just fine till I put it on the road course, so for the average person the stock setup is fine unless your gonna pe wide open for like 15-20 minutes at a time

Robert

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'm curious, what's better about putting the 03 cobra rad in? is it larger ?? how much better cooling efficiency does it offer over the stock 4.6L rad?

Besides it being bigger, in my opinion one of the best things about it is it's all-aluminum construction. No plastic side tanks to leak!

Jay

622 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ttt
The fan that i bought has a plug with 3 wires. black, yellow, yellow. Does it matter which power goes to which yellow wire? (if that makes sense). this is what JamesD drew up and mine is the same except no white wire. only 2 yellows.
Any idea which goes to which?

Seth

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
If the generic contains the shroud to fit the Cobra and flows the same, maybe ok. And like most parts the OEM lasts longer than the Chinese stuff.

I got the OEM Cobra fan and pigtail and it fits the radiator perfect.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
welcome to my world.. thought that picture looked familiar LOL

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I can't remeber but if you search u will find it, cause I just recently found mine on here with in a month or so ago

Robert

1 - 20 of 29 Posts