TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've changed my plans enough times, but this is the one I'm definitely going with. I just got my pistons in, the Probe 18.1cc dish pistons. The short block will be done soon enough. The block is a new 2003 Iron block, never touched. My main question is, knowing that all 2003 DOHC heads are the same, what timing cover would fit best and what intake should i look for to keep the thing N/A till i save up for a KB '03 cobra supercharger? Also, regarding the fuel system, i have to keep it return style, so can i use 96-98 Cobra fuel rails, and do the stock fuel lines connect in the same spot or will they have to be bent to fit? also can i use the stock regulator on 96-98 fuel rails? what injectors will i need? 24 lb? will i need a new alternator? what can i use from the current stock 97 NPI engine? what will I have to modify? Can i still use coil packs or will i have to go to COP?

If any of you can help I would be very appreciative as I want to avoid doing something and find out it won't fit.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I have been researching for my new set up recently (kind of sounds smilar to what you want to do when you put a blower on it). You will find next to zero information on custom DOHC set up stuff. It kind of sucks but you'll have great satisfaction when you make it run knowing you pioneered something I guess. But, check here, you might find something.

www.modular4V.com

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a 2003 Romeo Iron block,with cobra crank, eagle h-beams, probe 18.1cc dish pistons, and all the trimmings. I will use cometic MLS head gaskets, which are i believe .039" as well as ARP studs, for both mains and heads. The crank is turned .25mm/.25mm under. i will use plasma-moly rings, but havent figured the gap yet.

Anyways, these are the questions I have regarding the heads:

1) assuming that 99+ cobras fuel rails are returnless, are 96-98 cobra rails return style, and will they mate up to a 97 GT fuel system?

2) what injectors do I need? can i use my stock 19 lb ones or do i need to go to 24s

3) do 99+ cobra intakes fit 03 heads, or do I need one off of a mach 1. I ask because it will be a while before i can afford the KB and i will need to be NA for a while, so the cheapest fitting intake will suffice.

4) what front timing cover will work best, bearing in mind that i am using a new 2003 iron block and i need it to fit and work NA while being able to go to the KB later on. Does this mean I will need the one off of an 03 cobra ?

5) Also, if i get the 03 cobra timing cover can i run it sans blower pulley till i get the KB?

6) Accessories: what can i use off of my 97 GT engine, such as alternator, water pump, coil packs, crank pulley, valley heater tube, etc?

7) Can i use my NPI tensioners, chains, crank position sprocket, tensioners, tensioner arms, etc as it is a Romeo block, or will i need to change some of it

8) can i use 99+ valve covers with the 03 heads and keep my coil packs or must i use 96-98 valve covers. i care not for looks, only for functionality/price value.

Anyone who can answer these for me and bring to my knowledge anything I may not know or have forgotten about the swap, please let me know

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
1) ?

2) ?

3) From what I have read, I think so

4) any timing cover from a DOHC romeo engine should work I think, shouldn't be anything special about the 03 CObra one.

5) The blower pulley and the timing cover have nothing to do with each other.

6) I doubt the alternator will work, but most other accesories should

7) Daily Driven 4.6 would be the man to ask about tensioners when building a custom DOHC

8) If you want to use coil packs you have to use the old valve covers

I would recommend checking out the above mentioned site and asking some quesitons there. Its small but the knowledge seems to be good there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts