·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 Mach 1 after the accident: :bawling:

The Mach 1 engine and trans:

The Project Begins:

Upgrades:D

Sensor swapping and rewiring begin. Also a Mark VIII oil pan is installed on the Mach 1 engine:

Intake sensors are swapped and compared. Also a 98 Cobra fuel injector rail is modified to fit the Mach 1 intake. The Mach 1 injector connectors are wired into the Thunderbird wiring harness. Ford Racing 8 bolt Automatic Flywheel is installed and a 10.5in 3000 stall torque converter is installed:

Wiring harness is modified to use some of the Mach 1 sensors. TPS, Crank, and are the same as the 95. 03 IAC connector had to be wired in. Coolant temp sensor and Oil pressure sensor are swapped from the 95. EGR is deleted:

The engine 2 months after being installed. They really salt the roads around here. Now I have to clean my engine compartment.:mad:

In the end this project really isn't very hard. It's just time consuming. Some mods are needed to make everything fit correctly, but other than that this swap was very straight forward and well worth the effort.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Nicely done! I like all the pictures of the swap, most guys just tell you about it and never post pictures. Are you going to run the stock radiator and fan with the setup or looking to upgrade that? Yeah get that salt outta there for sure, you’re running big now so gotta keep it show room clean. Some warm soupy water and a cloth should do the trick. Very nice! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Wow that was quite some accident in the Mach 1. Hope you and your passengers if any walked away just fine...

On the brighter side of things nice work! That's gorgeous. Especially knowing that the doner car was once yours as well. You have the heart of your mach 1 still even though the rest of the car is gone. How's she run?

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Ultimately, I'd like to sell my Renegade heads for a set of C DOHC heads. It seemed like it would be an easy swap with only two uncertain things. First, the throttle cable, and second, the stock 97 hood. How did those two things work out? Looks like it came out great!

Pete

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Good to see you got it all together! Let us know how it runs and drives.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nicely done! I like all the pictures of the swap, most guys just tell you about it and never post pictures. Are you going to run the stock radiator and fan with the setup or looking to upgrade that? Yeah get that salt outta there for sure, you’re running big now so gotta keep it show room clean. Some warm soupy water and a cloth should do the trick. Very nice! :thumbsup:
I'd like to upgrade the radiator and fan soon. Everything is running at normal temps so far, but the engine really is crammed in there and I'm not sure how the temps will be during summer.
Thanks

Looks great. Not to sound like a scavenger, but do you still have the Mach 1 wheels?
No I didn't keep the rims. The rims had chunks missing from the passenger side.

Ultimately, I'd like to sell my Renegade heads for a set of C DOHC heads. It seemed like it would be an easy swap with only two uncertain things. First, the throttle cable, and second, the stock 97 hood. How did those two things work out? Looks like it came out great!

Pete
I used the throttle cable from the Mach 1 because it fit perfectly. As for the stock 97 hood, I'm not sure if it would fit or not.

Good to see you got it all together! Let us know how it runs and drives.
Everything runs great even with the tune from my old motor. The difference is night and day between the SOHC and DOHC engine. Without my engine being tuned I'm still a little faster than my friends 05 Mustang GT 5spd with his XCAL2 tune. I can't wait till I get the engine tuned properly. Then I can see what kind of numbers I put down at the dyno.:D

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I don't know how much more the Tbird loses over stock mach1... but the mach 1 I saw at the dyno put down 299HP and 308ft lbs of torque bone stock... It had about 8K on it so it was practically brand new.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yikes!!....was that a two-piece mark VIII shaft or a one-piece?

I don't know how much more the Tbird loses over stock mach1... but the mach 1 I saw at the dyno put down 299HP and 308ft lbs of torque bone stock... It had about 8K on it so it was practically brand new.
well if that was thru a manual transmission, then its quite possible that thru an automatic and IRS as opposed to a live axle, you'd dyno just a tad bit less

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snap! Already pushing that beast?
Maybe a little.:D

No possibility of using the shaker setup on the Tbird ?
I'm not sure how it would look with the cowl hood or even how it would look with the stock hood. Unfortunately the shaker scoop was smashed when the Mach 1 flipped over.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
I can't belive you snaped your Mark VIII driveshaft, how much power can they handle?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't belive you snaped your Mark VIII driveshaft, how much power can they handle?
I'm not sure how much a stock Mark VIII gauge can handle, but it definitely didn't hold up for my setup. I also broke the rear differential mount when the driveshaft broke.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts