TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a really good explorer 03 engine to swap on my bros 95 cat.

Has any one ever tried this? Are there any fundamental differences between an 02 and an 03 engine that would make the swap harder?
The engine as I understand comes complete sans starter, alternator and power steering pump. Everything else comes with it.

Is there something that needs to be modified, i.e., motor mounts, etc?

Thanks, please chime in with suggestions.

JC
El Paso TX

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Should be the same...I know of no changes between the model years save the composition of the block, however I have personally seen '03 Explorers with aluminum blocks. It's a Romeo so no motor mound modding, and you can see other swap issues by searching, issues regarding the fuel delivery system and wiring and such. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Im a little scared since I'm new to this whole swapping, fortunately for me, I have a couple of friends that now engines.

Anything else that comes to mind, please post.

Thanks again

JC
el paso tx

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll see if I can remember any more differences, but for one, the intake gaskets between the '02 and '03 are different. In the '03, the 2 bolts that hold on your thermostat housing are 3 or 4 inches long and thread all the way down into the head, so the gasket needs 2 more holes in it.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I don't see why that should be an issue...all he needs to do is pull the housing off the new motor, (optionally) replace the t-stat, put the old housing on, and use the bolts off the new motor.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Palmguy, thanks for chiming in. We'll find out how bad its gonna be on saturday when I pick the engine up.

I found out that it does not come with starter, alternator and PS pump.

So that should make things more interesting.

Joab

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Why do you say that should make things more interesting? You don't need any of that stuff. The Explorer PS pump would be useless anyways, you need to use your own. Your alternator will work just fine, as will your starter.

Don't worry...it's not that bad! It's relatively straight forward.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:thumbsup:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Thats what I wanted to hear concerning the missing parts...

Other than the electric and fuel stuff (which Im reusing I assume from my 95)
what else besides fluids and filters do I need?

Thanks a million, I feel better now.

J-

:bowdown:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts