TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think it is time for me to "unveil" my project. But before I go into details about the project, let me tell you a little bit about how I came into the conclusion about turbo charging my Cougar. Before I decided to turbo charge my car, it took me more than 2 years of research because I did not knew anything about induction so I had to get my brain up to date about it. So after does two years of research, another year came when I started to gather up the majority of the parts for me to to the build. Now, I decided to go with T3 Turbo coupes turbos from a manual because the turbos are bigger than the manual turbos, .63/.60 are the size. Of course to go with the turbos, I went 39lbs from a cobra, l-maf, 3.55 t-lock (was planning on going 3.73, but did not wanted to affect that much since I do a lot of highway driving, walbro 255 HP, 04 mustang GT TC, 2 38mm at 8psi external waste gates, HKS SSQV BOV, 28X7X3" IC, manual boost controller, FPR, all of the oil fittings, gaskets, plus all of the mandrel bent j's, u', pipes and all the silicone hoses.
Not, let me show you some of the mock up pics that I took before I started actually doing the build up.

In this pic, I was testing as to where I could put the IC, so I though it was a good place to put it in.

Some random pictures of the stuff I bought before I go to the actual build.

I bought more pipping after this.. LOTS more..

Now, to the actual build. I was so unsure as to where to start. At the beginning I thought if creating log style headers and replace the stock headers but that would have required more time, so I decided to use the stock headers and decided to do this:

And, the final piece for the driver side...

Now, to the passenger side. Here are some shots of the downtube welded up. Pardon my welds, but I am not welding expert yet.. I used a gas mig. Bought it at Home Depot. Lincoln Mig.

So far so good uh?! Well, after that, here are some pics were the turbos will be mounted...

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A picture with the finished down tubes..

Now, to start doing the hot side.... At first, I wanted it to have like this, but then, I put on the tires, and it would have been real close to the ground, and since over here in El Paso, we have a lot of speed bumps, I decided not to. But here's a quick pick. Purpose was to have it were the original cats were so I could do a straight exhaust pipe, but didn't work. Back to the drawing boards..:bangwall:

So I came up with this :idea:

I might redo this pipe and try to close both pipes together.. But we'll see.Now, to the driver side... :zdunno:

After here, I stopped because I did not had the new cats and turbo mufflers, so I could not finish the whole exhaust. So then, I decided to mount the intercooler.. Here are some pics:

One of the brackets, the other one is much the same so imagine it :tongue:

And both brackets put on sustaining the IC :thumbsup:

Now, since the IC was mounted, it was time to start with the cold side.... Here is where I got stuck a little bit, but managed to do some stuff...

And after much thought, I will change this part. What I want to do is to bring the passenger side turbo and connect it to the driver so the passenger exit of the IC to go directly to the engine. For some reason, I did not took pictures of the passenger side :confused: But, anyways, here are some pics of the intake tube, nasty I must say so I am also thinking of doing my own intake tube out of a 3" pipe and buy a maf adapter and welded onto the pipe(i'll keep you all informed about that). That MAF adapter, I bought it from autozone lol, yes vato zone, is a 3" inch adapter and the lamf electronics does fit, I would just need to dyno tune it, but like I said, I might get rid of that.

Here, I had to make a bigger hole to make the down pipe going to the IC, and after I did, I will have to re-weld a piece to cover up the rest of the hole that I wont need, unnecessary hot air will come to the engine.

I know I am missing more pictures, but I just can not find them. Here a few pics of the "finished" intake tube. The second picture goes from the 3" elbow to the IC, I have not finished welding it, because I ran out of gas.. lol I need to go and buy more..

This pipes, are were the gates will be, still need to weld them onto the exhaust.

Random pictures of all of the cuts that I have made...

My mustang GT TC

Now here are some pictures when I was assembling the turbos. As you see, on one of the turbos, I had to weld the flange onto it, because when I was trying to get the housing off, I broke 3 heads of the bolts, I tried to drilling them out, getting the housing hot and nothing, so I said screw it and I welded it in I had to disassemble them because I needed to get the oil feed on the top and he drain on the bottom. It is kind of weird how they have it on the turbo coupes.

I still have a lot of things to do guys. I still need to hook up the oil feed and drain, meaning that I need to punch holes on the oil pan, I still need to put both waste gates on, I need to weld in the BOV flange, redo the intake pipe, finish the exhaust, hook up all of the wiring needed, tune the car, then dyno tune it, add a wide band, install the transmission cooler, the O2 bungs... The list can go on and on. I just wanted to share with you what I was doing for the past couple of years...
And also, thanks to all that have helped me, and then again, I proved that everything is possible to do whatever you want, do not let any one say to you that you cant. Bill prove some people wrong as I did the same. I kept every single stock thing on my car. Any comments are welcome. I know that this is not perfect, and I am not saying that it is, but you learn as you go and I have learn tons..
After I am finish with this, I have another car in line and the a truck to do. My next project will be my dads 96, but I am going with a single turbo instead of twins, I will use a 60-1 with a .81 i think or so, but we will see. I need to buy first an exploder engine. So what you guys think eh?

Israel

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Teh Sweetness!!!!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

·
Jedi Master
3,647 Posts
that looks pretty da*n good Isra. Are you actually welding and cutting these pipes on your own???
I haven't been able to do much to mine since i have to start saving for the wedding....yeah i'm getting married....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it has been a while since I cleaned the engine, and I wont clean it until I'm done with the whole modding.

Orlando, yeah dude, I've been cutting and welding all by my self. Took me a while to get the welder, not cheap you know. You getting married? Awesome, congrats man. Dont forget to invite broda:thumbsup: Best of luck..

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Wow that is awesome.Maybe you can put some into production when you work out all of the bugs.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Nice man. I'm anxious to see how it turns out.

Russ

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
awesome mann! Great to see more and more turbo mn12s lol start smoking some hoped up stangs and maros! Is your car lowered any? Are you planning to build support brackets for the turbos? Awesome job looks good

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Few questions and comments:

Why does the tubing neck down after the intercooler than back uo before the MAF? That just causes lost velocity and a restriction.

Do you really want to have the turbo that close to the oil filter?

Will you be able to fit an air filter on there?

You complained about speed bumps but the routing of the tubing will still reduce the ground clearance by 3-5 inches. I have personally bottomed out on the front of the K-member without doing anything extreme over speedbumps. This point ir ight where you are routing tubes to the intercooler. In you second post the first picture clearly shows scrape marks on your k-member at the same spot and the tubes are running below this point by what looks to be around 4 inches.

-Miller

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Few questions and comments:

Why does the tubing neck down after the intercooler than back uo before the MAF? That just causes lost velocity and a restriction.
Well, you need to send the air that is beeing produced by the turbos into the IC to "cool" the air and then to he engine. I had to the that neck because the passenger side turbo is on the way. I hope I answered that pat correctly.

miller1995 said:
Do you really want to have the turbo that close to the oil filter?
Yeah, why not. I could use a turbo blanket to cover the exhaust housing and make another blanket for the oil filter or I could just simple relocate the filter, no problem with that.

miller1995 said:
Will you be able to fit an air filter on there?
I still have not decided on how to do that to tell you the truth.. That would be my least of my worries. But still, I still need to find a way to put some sort of filter. There are many people that uses filter screen instead of an air filter.

miller1995 said:
You complained about speed bumps but the routing of the tubing will still reduce the ground clearance by 3-5 inches. I have personally bottomed out on the front of the K-member without doing anything extreme over speedbumps. This point ir ight where you are routing tubes to the intercooler. In you second post the first picture clearly shows scrape marks on your k-member at the same spot and the tubes are running below this point by what looks to be around 4 inches.
-Miller
My car will not be lowered, at least not as of now. I am very aware that my clearance will be reduced, so next time I go over speed bumps, I will do so really slowly. The way I have it setup now, is not definitive. After I am done with the whole project and "test" it out, I will build some log headers like I stated it on top. Changing to log header will be easier, turbos will get hotter air and faster. This is for now because I do really want to know how this works. Once I build the headers, I bet that many problems that I will maybe have, can and will be solve.

Thanks for the interest guys. Next week, I will go buy some more gas, and weld on the flanges for the gates and mount them. Also, hopefully, I will be able able to weld the 3 O2 bungs (2 for the cats and 1 for the wideband). I know this is not perfect at all, but I am happy with I have accomplished. I'll keep you all posted.

Israel

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
the ground clearance shouldnt be an issue as long as this car is driven very carefull.70 mph passed a wavy enough road will get the pipes touching. Is this car going to be driven everyday? ALso as dirty as the engine compartment looks you most likely will want air filters. I like the turbo placement gives is a sleeper effect. Are you going to run a pump to return the oil or gravity feed? Is there any movement of the turbos due to the 2 bolt flanges? Seeems like they would need suport from some bracing. oh and are you going to place the 02s in the feed pipes or exit pipes. Looks like they would be best in the feed right after the manifold

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the ground clearance shouldnt be an issue as long as this car is driven very carefull.70 mph passed a wavy enough road will get the pipes touching. Is this car going to be driven everyday? ALso as dirty as the engine compartment looks you most likely will want air filters. I like the turbo placement gives is a sleeper effect. Are you going to run a pump to return the oil or gravity feed? Is there any movement of the turbos due to the 2 bolt flanges? Seeems like they would need suport from some bracing. oh and are you going to place the 02s in the feed pipes or exit pipes. Looks like they would be best in the feed right after the manifold

Yeah, it will be driven every day. Like I said, I will probably put some filter screen on the turbos.

I will use gravity for the oil to return, to much of a hassle to put the pump.

I do not know about the movement, but I will probably come up with some bracing for the turbos. Also, what two bolt flanges? If you talk about the T3 flange, they are 4 bolts...

Yes, I will place the O2 bungs after the manifold and then another bung close to any turbo for the wide band signal.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would have been nice David, but unffortunate, I will have to do it the hard way. I will have to send the passenger side pipe all the way to the driver and just use the passenger side out to go directly to the engine... Oh well, more work and more pipe to work with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I apoligize for the lack of technical ability i could shed on this subject...but your idea is awesome...inspires people to think outside the box!

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is a very nice setup! Just for fun I am wondering how much coin you've invested in this so far. Keep us updated!!

1 - 20 of 155 Posts