TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with the car charging the battery and it dies out if kept running. Battery holds a 12.3V charge without running. There has been two new batteries and the original alternator has been replaced. The old one was checked after and turned out too be good but discarded anyway due to age and labor; it was not worth removing again. Now the battery ground cable has been tested good and shows a good connection with multimeter from alternator casing to battery ground terminal. Also the posititve wire on the alternator has good connection to the pos terminal of the battery. Battery fusible links are also all good yet the car will not charge to 14volts regardless. The gauge cluster did lose gas gauge needle readings etc. when it died out. Any idea where to check next behind the dash resistor, etc?

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i tested the signal wire plug going to alternator and get around 10V on the harness ( 2 prong ) with key off and only barley .8V with key to ON position. Could that be the problem?

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GRRRR... This is annoying; I found a diagram of the alternator schematic and basically the red power and ground wire have a good connection to battery. The signal connector harness has two wires; red, and blue/orange. The red wire based on schematic should have voltage always while key is off on etc. and blue/orange wire should be powered while the car is set to ON or START which it does; so from what I found all connections work. Also the dash battery light illuminates while the car is ON position like its supposed to. Anyone have any ideas what to do?

·
Registered
34 Posts
perhaps getting a third alternator??? maybe the replacement alternator you have there now is a 'lemon' - it happened to me, same symptoms as yours, i replaced the orignal alternator, car starts but voltage drops after five minutes of idle - it turns out, it wasn't charging at all.

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully charged the battery on a trickle charger; Shortly before that I noticed the battery dummy light with key ON was looking dimmer than the rest of the dummy lights. Once the battery was fully charged the battery dummy light with key KOEO was completely unlit. I took out the gauge cluster and the bulb was good. I found a small box (diode) for the excite circuit which plugs in behind the fuse panel and it tested as showing it allowed current in one direction only; just as it is labeled on the casing of that part. From here, all I can think of is that the gauge cluster is faulty; I doubt its the alternator as the original alternator showed the same symptoms and it tested good, but I'm not ruling it out. Maybe I will try to bypass the excite plug on alternator not positive how to do it though. thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts