TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever the car starts up when cold it makes a loud squeal for a minute. After it is warmed up it wont squeal when starting; but only when turning, usually only when standing still and turning. All belts were recently replaced; and the mechanic after retightening the belts supposedely said the pump was bad after it still made noise. Visually checking the pump/belt while turning as the squeal noise appears both the belt and the pump pulley stop moving. The fluid in the ps pump I flushed and put some fresh trans fluid in to no avail. Im leaning towards the ps pump bearing sticking; but Iv'e read some posts that this was a loose belt symptom. Any ideas does this sound like a belt or pump problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
how does the belt feel? grab the belt and pull on it and use common sense to tell you wether its too tight or too lose

·
It is nice
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I loosened the ps pump. After the belts noise was about the same so i tightened it up some more from original position. Then I tightened up the alternator belt and the noise is gone so the alt belt was making the ps drag because it was too loose. Easy fix, so dont need a new power steering pump.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts