TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help finding the right rag joint to install my 04GT Rack and pinion. The triangle rag joint I have fits on the Rack side but the side that hooks up to the steering shaft is a female connection and I need a male.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,810 Posts

This and a make a short stub of 3/4” DD shaft to replace the rag alltogether.

OR drill out the rivets holding the stock rag joint together and replace the splined piece with the SN95 triangle piece and bolt it back together(replacing the rivets).

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
You have to swap to the MN12 style bushings (stock or Energy Suspension 4.10102G poly with stock sleeves) and use the MN12 style outer tie rods in addition to the Unisteer 8050370 part and DD rod that Matt listed above. You also want to pull out the plastic limiters from behind the inner tie rods. I just put a SPR-ZM Cobra rack in mine a couple weeks ago. I have not put the car back together to experience the difference yet.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
What's the advantage of a GT rack over an MN12 rack?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Reactions: KEVIN8989

·
Registered
340 Posts
Mine's 29 years old and has been sitting for over a decade. Figure this is a good mood while I'm doing everything else. Sounds like the Cobra setup is a bit more work but better end result. Plus I was already doing the steering shaft mod.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
This will be a different joint than the usual mod. You'll need the name brand part listed above as the cheaper eBay version isn't machined good enough to safely connect to the rack side.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,810 Posts
+1 I used the ebay flaming river knockoffs (the ones with set screws) on the splined portions of my multijoint steering shaft mod with no issues, but the triangle ones are sloppy! There are unisteer knockoffs with the clamp bolts too but I have it on good authority those are of even worse quality,

Mine's 29 years old and has been sitting for over a decade. Figure this is a good mood while I'm doing everything else. Sounds like the Cobra setup is a bit more work but better end result. Plus I was already doing the steering shaft mod.
That was my rationale, I was going to get a manual rack but chickened out last minute

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you jco1385, I purchased that one from TBSC shop. I cant wait to get my SC going again.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Don't thank me, thank Matt for pioneering this mod. Everything I did, I got the info from him.

Reactions: CDsDontBurn
1 - 17 of 17 Posts