TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have a set of 17x9 10th Anniversary rims with 275-40-17 tires all the way around on my thunderbird.

I only have probs with the rear rubbing on th tires with a full tank of gas or people in the car.

I have 3 options,, move to a 255 series tire and hope it doesnt hit anymore but I think it might.

Get a set of 94-04 Mustang GT (bullits) and tires 245-45-17 for a good price (these should fit)

OR get a set of 05-07 Mustang GT Bullits (look better then 94-04) but they come with 235-55-17 which would improve ride and fill out the fenderwell. but I'm not sure these will fit and might have to much backspacing???

Brad

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Im working on this, I will have some 07 bullit rims mounted up with some235/55 r17 perielli pzero nero's on thursday.

Ill post with the pictures and issues (hope there arent too many).

~MG~

·
Baby Huey
3,210 Posts
Big Mike has some on his.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spacer will be necessary as the bullitt spoke design will interfere with the brake calipers, especially cobra or brembo calipers.

Have you verified this?? or speculation?

I am comparing rotors and calipers from SN95 and S197 mustangs and they seem close to identical.

The S197 used a 12.8"? rotor from the factory I believe which should be close to the 13" used on the SN95 Cobra's

Guess I'll be finding out the hard way as I just ordered a set of 17x8 Mustang (Bullet) rims and 235-55-17 P-Zero tires for my Thunderbird

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
the old body has a 5.72 -5.98 backspace as where most of the 05+ are 6.82 backspace.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Currently I have a set of 17x9 10th Anniversary rims with 275-40-17 tires all the way around on my thunderbird.

I only have probs with the rear rubbing on th tires with a full tank of gas or people in the car.

I have 3 options,, move to a 255 series tire and hope it doesnt hit anymore but I think it might.

Get a set of 94-04 Mustang GT (bullits) and tires 245-45-17 for a good price (these should fit)

OR get a set of 05-07 Mustang GT Bullits (look better then 94-04) but they come with 235-55-17 which would improve ride and fill out the fenderwell. but I'm not sure these will fit and might have to much backspacing???

Brad
Can't you just roll your fender lip a little to gain the extra clearance? That’s cheaper than your suggested options. :D

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Verified 2005 OEM silver bullitts with 2004 13" rotors and cobra calipers.
1/4 spacer was needed. I can't speak for other wheel types though.
Damn,, better order the spacers before the wheels arrive

Is 1/4 inch the minimum needed? they have 5mm(1/4") and I also seen some 3mm (1/8")

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Verified 2005 OEM silver bullitts with 2004 13" rotors and cobra calipers.
1/4 spacer was needed. I can't speak for other wheel types though.

Well I just got my 2005 Mustang silver Bullet's and they fit fine without any spacers so I guess I just wasted my money buying a set of spacers I didnt need.

The front calipers are close yes,, but do not necsetate any need for spacers from what I can see.. I have about 1/8" between rim and caliper bracket and the calipers have new pads so they are extended outward as far as possible.

I'll have pics shortly, but all I can say is they fit awesome and look superb!

Brad

·
Registered
189 Posts
Are you ruinning 13" rotors and dual piston calipers ? They were definitely needed on the car we worked on. They would scrape right at the cobra lettering. I have no reason to lie to you ;)

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
Just FYI, a lot of aftermarket 05-07 replica wheels are very close to ideal spec, if not ideal spec for our cars after the hubswap. I have seen a bunch of replica rims in 9" widths, with +36mm offset, which is perfect.

-Joel

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you ruinning 13" rotors and dual piston calipers ? They were definitely needed on the car we worked on. They would scrape right at the cobra lettering. I have no reason to lie to you ;)
Yes running the 13" cobra brakes and the Actually COBRA (has the lettering also) twin pistons calipers.

Actually the closest item is the bracket with about 1/8" of space and the caliper itself has 1/4" of space.

AT MOST,, you would need a 1/8" spacer (3mm) and that would be just perfect cause the wheel would be almost equal with the fender lip.

I'm using a Actual Ford rim and it says it 17x8 and 45mm stamped inside the rim.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
45mm means you have 6.295" of backspacing (max for the bird), 35- 37mm looks better on the bird as it brings the rim/tire combo out closer to the fender for a "beefier" look.

Im running same rims (17x8 45mm offset with 6.295" backspace off of a 07 mustang) with 1.25" bolt pattern spacer changers... doing the math... they look freakin sweeet!

~MG~

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm debating on ordering a set of 3mm spacers to push them out a lil more,, to me they look perfect. also keeps the tires and rain inside the fenders instead of kicking it up under the rocker panels (where we need it the least!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts