TCCoA Forums banner

1-2 Accum Piston Jmod Help

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Silver95Bird 
#1 ·
I finally got the 1-2 accum piston out after finally finding a decent set of pliers, but now of course, another problem. I can't seem to get the 1-2 piston back in to the VB. I've searced and noticed that a lot of people used Jacks to put it back in. How exactly do I use the jack? Do I need any other pieces for height? What do I use to press against the bottom of the piston setup? Does the piston go in gradually or all at one? Thanks.

-Cordeez

#2 ·
Are you putting in a bottom spring? When I did mine, I left out the bottom spring, and pushed the accum up a bit. A few times it wouldn't give, then all of a sudden it gave in and went about another .5 -1" higher. Try rotating it and it should give in.

#4 ·
Remember, there are seals around the accumulator.
You don't want to shear them with the edges of the bore.

Lube it up really good with ATF, lube the bore as well. Press on it by hand until it pops into place, it may help to wiggle it a little.
Then replace the lower spring (if you drive in the rain :D) and the cover. Have a friend hold it in place with a wooden hammer handle or large dowel, and replace the snap-ring. You can use a bottle jack, etc. along with the wood if you don't have help, but be careful not to press on it too hard - just enough to hold the cover in place.

FWIW

#5 ·
Hey,

I know exactly what you are talking about when you say it does not go in.

I dont know if you are using a spring or not, but if you are and the spring is what is preventing you from pushing in the accunulator then you can use a jack with a lare socket on top of it to help you push it into the bore. BE CAREFUL NOT TO FORCE IT INTO THE BORE.

Most likely though you are not using a 1-2 spring, you just have to lube the pison and bore, and keep trying to put it in, you have to make sure it is perfectly aligned and straight when you put it in, just keep trying...it will get in there.

-Andrey

#6 ·
I didn't have to use a jack on the 1-2 accum when I recently installed my shift kit. I did on the O/D servo, though, which I had mistakenly dropped! The accumulator should go back in with a little wiggling around & some trans fluid on the seals. I hope you have the new type accumulator. The old aluminum type that I had leaks by badly. Picked up the new steel one at a dealer. Like the other guys said, rotate & wiggle it & it should go on up inside.

#8 ·
I assume you mean you got the snap ring out..

If so, the 1-2 accumulator piston cover has a rubber seal around it - this is good.
The bad part is that it may be difficult to remove because of it.
Try gently prying the inside of the cover with a screwdriver, or of you have a LARGE set of external snap ring pliers, you can just clamp the inside lips of the cover with the snap ring plier jaws and pull it out. It shouldn't be THAT tight, just a little snug because of the rubber surround. Don't damage the rubber part where it seals against the bore, you want that to be in good condition - and don't bend the cover.

Usually the 2 springs will push it out, but if you have a 3.8 engine, there is no upper spring, and it will not pop out on it's own. If the lower spring is broken, there may be shards of it jamming the cover and they may have deformed the cover - I've seen it happen. You should replace the cover if it is damaged too much - it's cheap insurance.

#10 ·
when my accumulators stick, i get a pair of needlenose pliers - but instead of closing them up, open them so that the ends are against the sides of the accumulator. then pull down, and the whole red mess will come right down. lol. Don't wear your sunday best for this job. :tongue:

#11 ·
Hi Silver95Bird,
It was the cover to the 1-2 accumulator that I couldn't get out. What I did was start the engine for 2 seconds and that pushed the cover down so I could grab it.

This is what the spring looked like when I removed it. It was in side ways too.

Here is a pic of the new spring and 1-2 accumulator:

and a pic of the inside of the 1-2 cover:

All assembled and it shifts great..no more bang when it shifts into second and so far no shudder.
Thanks to all of you

#15 ·
holy cow, lol

glad to see you've fixed it :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.