TCCoA Forums banner

1-2 shift after chip

892 views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Leland Jacobson 
#1 ·
at full throttle, my 1-2 shift is around 6000 rpm now...is that safe? I'm pretty sure the motor can take it with the PI intake and cams, but how about the transmission/driveshaft/rear end? the DS and rear end are stock, and i have a mark8 TC in the tranny...

is that shift ok?

#2 ·
The converter can handle it, and everything behind the tranny (i.e. driveshaft, rear end, etc.) are vehicle speed dependent, not engine speed dependent. They spin at a certain speed directly linked to how fast the vehicle is going, so I'd say that stuff is fine.

#3 ·
Damn you wes...i thought you werent going to do anything more to your car??? now you gotta make a trip to lubbock so we can run em and see how big a difference things have made...plus just to run em against each other...

#4 ·
no kidding.. my new SCT chip from MD shifts at 5850.... still no 1-2 bark..

#6 ·
Hey Wes what chip did you get?? Oh ya is it normal for me to beable to bark 1-2 without a chip?? I can do it alot if its in the 60's up here in WI, really made her bark the other morning to work :)

#8 ·
I WANT CHIP!!!

#9 ·
jamesD said:
no kidding.. my new SCT chip from MD shifts at 5850.... still no 1-2 bark..
Wow.... mine was barking like crazy on the 1-2 shift with my old tires (actually, it was more like spinning one tire on shifts) and chirping/barking with my new tires (235/60 16s).

How much rubber you got on the road? Of you have a ton of rubber, this could make sense, but you should get something on full throttle shifts.

#11 ·
well.. i run 255/50/17s BFG KDWS, so i know they grip on the road.. but they do spin a bit on the strip...

w/ the Jmod and my tranny guys little "tweak" the 1-2 was harsh enough to force things from the front of the car shooting to the rear (like paperwork i forgot hanging up under the sunvisor), rpms would drop she would pick back up and GO...

w/ the SCT Chip added to it (under 87 performance), she WOT shifts at like i said 5750 or 5800 and it is just as hard as it was before, but the RPMS don't drop as quick and i find myself having to back off because i am almost as 60 by the time i need to shift into 3rd... but... no bark....

i'm guessing it is the tires.. the Nova barks 2nd just fine.. but then again.. i run Dunlops as she has a tad bit more power...

#12 ·
I have very mild mods done to my car, and my 1-2 shift is brutal without a chip. Remember, Wes also has the Mark converter, which actually softens your shifts. Wes's car is a good example of what ANYONE on the boards can do with time and patience. He has all of the work himself, and started with little knowledge. He asked the right people the right questions, took his time, and got it done. Remember, he's only 18!!!!!!!!!!!!! I talk to him a lot, and try to help him whenever I can, but he lives about an hour and a half away. I'm really impressed with how quickly he learns, and how hard he works to get what he wants. Good Job Wes, good to see you're finally happy with the car, now get the darn thing out to the track, and see what it'll really do.

BTW: I posted a bunch of videos a while back, if you can stand how slow Yahoo downloads, download MevsKenneth, the camera was at the top of the stands, and you can hear my 1-2 shift pretty loud in the video.

#13 ·
97mn-12 said:
Damn you wes...i thought you werent going to do anything more to your car??? now you gotta make a trip to lubbock so we can run em and see how big a difference things have made...plus just to run em against each other...
I'll think about it ;)

I wasnt gonna do anything, but i started figuring up my money situation...and i had some i could spare :)

#14 ·
weswing04 said:

I'll think about it ;)

I wasnt gonna do anything, but i started figuring up my money situation...and i had some i could spare :)
sweeeeeeeet....yeh im gonna try and do the PI intake, pullies, and timing adjuster this summer. my goals at least...anyways, good job....

#15 ·
Well, with PI Heads/camz, there's a lot more Lift and change of direction at some shockingly high acceleration values, so when you go to 5800 , and more, you are putting some real strain on the valve springs, the weak point in the PI engine at high RPM....Now it may be that the thing holds together forever, but After market valve springs are indicated to optimize things, IMHO...or rein it in a bit with lower shift points... good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.