TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, If I can get a killer deal on a 1 1\4 sway bar kit front and rear. how much better is the 1 3\8 kit , I dont ever plan on autocrossing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm running the 1 3/8" bars with the MN12 bushings. I would not go that extreme if I was to do it again. They can be a bit jarring when turning into some driveways. Most of the time it is fine and the car drives like it is on rails.

Andrew

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much better do you think the 1 1\4 bar is compared to the 1 3\8's??

·
Registered
252 Posts
IMO, the 1-3/8 is not needed. I autocross and track my car, and the 1-1/4" bars are just fine. The best set-up I have had is with a 1-1/4 ADDCO rear bar, and an '89 SC front bar, both with poly bushings.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks :), I also has my car on the lift today and Im alsmost 100% sure you dont have to remove the K member to get the front sway bar out. Some people have been saying this.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I tried it for quite a while unsuccesfully. If the engine is not in the car, you might be able to get away without dropping the cradle.

When I did it (4.6L car), the cradle had to drop, and the engine had to be raised. Of course, that winter I had the entire car torn apart, but I could not wait to do it.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Getting the stock bar out without removing the K-member is not the problem it is the larger bar going back in that is. I came up with the ADDCO install as really the only way to do it. Most thought it could not be done in the first place.

Mark

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Mark, you have the big bars, don't you? I'm currently debating on which ones to get for Autocross/Street Duty with Konis and H&R's, and a set of chassis braces.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Hi Rich,

I have the 1st prototype 1 3/8" bars on my Cat and would not change them for the world. I've also have all the other suspension parts on my car and have had all the combos on my car and ended up with the big boys. IMHO get the big bars.

Mark

·
8,239 Posts
mark,

care to make a roadtrip to the lovely Western New York to install the front bar in my car?

It looks like alot of fun.

Larry? Anybody?

JH

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JustinH said:
mark,

care to make a roadtrip to the lovely Western New York to install the front bar in my car?

It looks like alot of fun.

Larry? Anybody?

JH
Ill talk to my buddy tony , he might do mine b\c I have been so busy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you go with the big bar you better get an oil filter relocation kit. Take it from me, wresting the oil filter out around the bar is a pain in the [email protected]# :zbash:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Matt C said:
If you go with the big bar you better get an oil filter relocation kit. Take it from me, wresting the oil filter out around the bar is a pain in the [email protected]# :zbash:
:mad: Oh come on, be adventurous. It is fun to push your filter back to get it on top of the bar, push the lower rad hose out of the way, pull the filter forward, push the overflow hose out of the way, pull it forward some more, turn it, wiggle it, and pull it down around the front end of the strut rod, lower rad hose, sway bar, and everything else that is right there. Its a lot of fun. Its even more fun getting the new filter back in to. Don't move it, that would make things too easy.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yeah, it sure is fun allright....especially when there's hot oil all around and the filter is so hot you can barely touch it! Gloves make the job more difficult!

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rustyul said:
Yeah, it sure is fun allright....especially when there's hot oil all around and the filter is so hot you can barely touch it! Gloves make the job more difficult!
you shouldnt be changing the oil on a hot engine ;)

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
I love the big bars.

I pull my filter out the top and put my filter in from up top.

I put the large bar in with the motor out. If you have any reason to pull the motor you can easily get the big bar in with the motor out!

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
I have the 1 1/4 bars front & back, with Suspension Tech springs and Bilsteins...car handles great, but I can feel every rock I run over, especially with 45 series tires.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
TydlwavS said:
I love the big bars.

I pull my filter out the top and put my filter in from up top.

I put the large bar in with the motor out. If you have any reason to pull the motor you can easily get the big bar in with the motor out!
I'm pretty sure I can't see my oil filter from up top to get it out. I might be able to drop the new one in from up top, if I got luck y I might be able to reach it where it came to rest.:confused:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts