TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
TSTaCC President
885 Posts
Skylines are such beautiful cars. Those are probably the only non-ford car I would own except for my caddy hearses. I have a bunch of pics of them layings around. My boss and I kid around about the day I get a skyline and tear up his Mercedes C230 kompressor hatchback. Wishful thinking

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
It is a Nissan.............

GreenBird said:
Since when is a Skyline rice? :2huh:
A Skyline is a Nissan so that would make it rice.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Re: It is a Nissan.............

LX-Tasy said:

Thanks,
Chris
Are you serious?

who cares where it's made, its afast car, and makes incredible power. Skylines, Supras, RX7s, they are some of the most respected and fear sports cars ever made.
"they sound like poo", so? so do Vipers.

"There is no Import, there is no Domestic, there is only power, and NOTHING else maters."

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
RICE pretains to Civics, Altimas, Maximas, Focuses, Cavaliers, and little sh!t econobox's like that. Cars that people make to look fast when they weren't built for speed. Supra, Skyline, RX7, Impreza WRX... those cars are NOT rice. they are built with the idea of speed and competition in mind. The Impreza may sound like a hive of bees coming at you, but that thing is at least fast. Just because something is made in Japan makes it rice, and just because somethign is made in the U.S. doesnt mean it cant be rice. hel, there are riced out birds. rice is not a nationality thing (even thought thats its origin), it is a mindset. There are prolly focuses and civics etc. out there that can run some damn good times, but arent covered in stickers and dont have show-only roll cages. even they arent rice. -greg

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yeah, its pretty much a fact that Nissan is doing away with the inline 6 TT and going with a twin turbo V6. Reports have it being based off of their very potent 3.5L that puts out almost 290HP N/A in the 350Z, so it should still be very fast in stock form. But I don't think you'll be seeing any 1000HP+ versions anytime soon. I think the fact that 500-800hp skylines and supra's are relatively common go a long way to demonstrate the potential of inline 6's. I wish we saw more inline 6's in the automotive industry.
R35 Skyline GT-R concept

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
Re: It is a Nissan.............

LX-Tasy said:

Thanks,
Chris
sorry man....got do to this... :bs:

I'm not the biggest fan of skylines, i'm a mark IV supra kind of guy. But, I respect skylines for what they do: perform. Every inch of that car reeks of performance. a nissan skyline is NOT rice.

rice cars include, but are NOT LIMITED, to Honda civics, some of the lower class Integras, the Honda (Acura in America) RSX, Nissan Altimas, Dodge Neon, Ford Focus, Chevrolet Cavalier, etc. etc.... small econo box cars. Now, this is not limited to JUST small FWD cars, there are some cars that are RWD and are rice. There are plenty of riced out camaros and mustang :(

nonetheless, ricers love to lie about performance and their skillz....and LOVE to put lotz of z's where 's' should be. so here's what they do...

they go and get some wicked wheelz to help their car perform better on the street. they get some 15" rims w/ some random stupid pattern (ugly 3 spoke???). Some actually have a bit of class and get TASTEFUL multispoke rims.

they go and get some stickerz. LOTS of stickerz. race cars have stickers on them, from the companies that sponsor the vehicle, so if they get some stickerz, they'll be just as fast as the race cars! Weapon R is a common sticker that will be found, along w/ random crap stating the vehicle maker, or what type of engine is under the hood. For example, i dont have a picture, but there's a riced out honda at my university w/ a "1.6L SOHC Vtec" sticker along the BOTTOM part of his front windshield..

they go and get 'performance' springz to lower their car......by taking the springs off of their car and cutting them in the garage, or in a friend's kitchen. then throw them back on the car, and drive around, thinking they're the shiznit. problem is, when you cut springs like that, your car looks like a teeter totter as you drive...w/ the front and back bouncing up and down as you drive... you see, spring rates are for certain lengths of spring. the lowering of a vehicle to increase the handling by this method is cancelled out by the excessive rice vibe, and the lovely bouncing action i mentioned above.

they go and get fake nitrous oxide bottles, fake turbos, etc. (my personal favorite). the ULTIMATE in rice fashion....posing massive performance. there are speaker sets (subwoofers?) that are in the shape of a NOS bottle. yes, i said NOS bottle because they resemble the blue bottle used by NOS (nitrous oxide system, by holley). my favorites the fake turbo stuff....

Turbo oil cap
Fake turbo blow off valve

they get a nice, large spoiler, or should i say, they get wingz...mark IV supra style, Saleen SR double stacked wing, even the ultimate ricer spiler: THE TRIPLE STACKED WING (darth vader). take a look in sport compact car and go through the multitude of advertisements there....you're bound to find a triple stacked wing. coincidentally, i DO read sport compact car (friend has a subscription...turbo supra owner), so i do speak the truth on the wings.

they get new skinz. body kits that are just plain ugly. occasionally, there might be a tastefull one, but most are just plain crap, dont fit the car right, never get painted..etc. some try to make their cars look like others....like we're gonna mistake a civic for a bmw Z3 roadster.....or put supra tail lights on a mitsubishi eclipse GS (go slow)

finally, they go and get clear tail lightz (altezza style). rarely, and i do mean RARELY, do clear tail lights look good on a car/truck (F-150 lightning...borderline ok looking lights). if you or anyone you know has them, sorry, but i think they're crap. i saw one set of almost tasteful clear tail lights on a silver car the other day...almost looked alright. nonetheless, ricer boys get them because it's the standard now. everyone w/ a civic NEEDS clear tail lights because that's all you'll see of them when you're racing :rolleyes: LOL

Greenbird used to have some pictures of a heavily riced out mustang here , but i guess the pics are gone.

for more on 'true' ricers:
Riceboy page (click on 'hall of shame" and browse around...99% of the cars there are rice)

Ricecop

there are some stuff i left out..but i'm running out of time (have a final soon...damn classical mechanics). take a look at most of the cars in those sites. it is unfortunate that the REAL kids that actually WANT to be fast...the TRUE import crowd, get drowned out by the mulitude of poser kids that dont know what a turbo timer is, what variable valve timing really is, or what stand alone fuel management systems do for a car......but they have a wing they paid 500 dollars for that makes sure they stay planted as they go down the 1/4 mile w/ all 87 hp they put to the ground.

do be ware of REAL Integra type R enthusiasts. i have incredible respect for the Integra. My friend's mom's 4 door Integra GS-R is rather impressive....

anyway,
SKYLINES ARE NOT RICE

if you want to call it rice because it comes from the land of the rising sun, fine. but it'd STILL rape and pilliage on a drag strip, or a road race track. cant say that about your every day civic w/ stickers....

·
Registered
722 Posts
Rice is ANYthing that is produced in or by a Japaneese, Chinesse or Korean company ........ PeRiOd!

In the past 10 years or so, the term "Rice" has be deluted and is now used by some people to include ALL products not made in the United States.

The term for modifying a import car (or any other vehicle) with wings and things is "Riced" or "Riced Out" not Rice.

I have a poster somewhere around here that was produced by the UAW back in the mid 70's that had a picture of a 1976 Toyota Corolla on it .......... The caption at the bottom of the poster says, "From the Nice People Who Brought You PEARL HARBOR"

This poster should remind us to always by American.

BlackbirdSport, You asked, "who cares where it's made"

Frankly speaking, I DO!

Because, If we dont buy American products and services ...... Americans dont work ...... If Americans dont work we all suffer. Ask any Economic Teacher! Better yet, look around you! If we all bought American products and service there would be vurtually no unemployment, (except for those who don't want to work or cant). And our country would not be spending more than it makes.

Some will say that our quality isn't as good on some stuff ...... True, but if you knew you would have to buy the product your company made, would you try to make it better?

(Stepping down from soap box ...... exiting stage left ......)

"HUNGRY, eat your Foreign Car" :uppoint:

·
Registered
722 Posts
Quick History Lesson:

The word "Rice" comes from the original 70's term "Rice Burner" ...... meaning any vehicle coming to America from the Asia continent.

.:End of lesson:.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I must be about the same age as you Jonnyboy ............

I always considered ANYthing that is produced in or by a Asian company to be "Rice",
all German cars "Kraut Grinders" and all British cars to be "Tea Pots"

When the Asian companys really started flooding the US market back in the late sixtys, you would get laughed out of the parking lots if you drove an imports. That was in the hayday of the American Muscle car. ('Cuda's, Road Runners, Camaros, Impala SS's, Torinos, and Mustangs and others).

As those American cars got bought up and /or used up, the next generation (Late 70's Early 80's guys), started buying all of the earlier import cars (Datsun 510, 240z ect) because they were cheap to fix up and drive. (Remember the Gas Shortage)? So the "big three" started building the Pinto, Vega, Colt and Gremlin. But by then it was to late ...... the market was flooded with Honda CVCC, Datsun 510 and others. Porche was also pretty big around here. (Rear engine 912's, and 911's).

I remember one of our neighbors bought a 71 Honda CVCC and it was just over $1300.00 new ......... He was so proud that he bought this POS because it got almost 40 mpg and it would run forever on a tank of gas.

Later he fould out that it costed 3 times as much to fix, so he junked it and bought a 75 Dodge Dart. It had a 225 slant 6 w/ 2bbl and it got 24 mpg. Then he said he'd never buy another import car because it costed to much to keep it running.

Now, the only cheep cars are these Imports, and the kids are fixing them up because there isn't enough "American" cars around and they dont make any cool stuff for them. The current "Ricer" craze started in California when some little rich kid bought a SCCA touring car and converted it to a street car. His buddys didn'r want to be upstaged so they bought one to ........ and so on, and so on ......

It's now up to us to show them that "American Muscle" is still around and that we can suck those little POS's thru our intakes and push them out out talepipes.

If not us .........Who ..........

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
forcfed93 said:
Rice is ANYthing that is produced in or by a Japaneese, Chinesse or Korean company ........ PeRiOd!

The term for modifying a import car (or any other vehicle) with wings and things is "Riced" or "Riced Out" not Rice.
actually, many people dont bother saying 'riced out' or 'riced'....they just say a RICE CAR. so if you think it's diluted, that's fine, but that's the way the term is used nowadays....not only for the origin of the car, but the way people modify them....and there ARE domestic rice cars.

I have a poster somewhere around here that was produced by the UAW back in the mid 70's that had a picture of a 1976 Toyota Corolla on it .......... The caption at the bottom of the poster says, "From the Nice People Who Brought You PEARL HARBOR"

This poster should remind us to always by American.
you mean always BUY American? anyway, that's a pretty good propaganda poster. during the 70's, American auto makers NEEDED that kind of propaganda b/c American cars were complete crap in the late 70's. hell, even the corvette became utter garbage.

BlackbirdSport, You asked, "who cares where it's made"

Frankly speaking, I DO!

Because, If we dont buy American products and services ...... Americans dont work ...... If Americans dont work we all suffer. Ask any Economic Teacher! Better yet, look around you! If we all bought American products and service there would be vurtually no unemployment, (except for those who don't want to work or cant). And our country would not be spending more than it makes.

Some will say that our quality isn't as good on some stuff ...... True, but if you knew you would have to buy the product your company made, would you try to make it better?

(Stepping down from soap box ...... exiting stage left ......)

"HUNGRY, eat your Foreign Car" :uppoint:
eat your foreign car...
so would you say to a Ferarri owner, go eat your pasta 360 modena? How's about Jaguar, a Ford subsidiary....go eat some fish 'n chips. or a ford escape...er..mazda tribute.....it's japanese w/ a ford emblem on it.... I wouldnt buy one cuz i dont want a vehicle like that...not because it's japanese.

please, don't get me wrong, I am as American as can be...heck, my dad served the US through Korea AND Vietnam. However, it sholuldn't matter where the car comes from. especially a high performance, semi-exotic car like a Skyline.

i explained the way the term is used nowadays....take what you will...doesnt matter to me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Rice is a visual statement, a total lack of taste and performance, trying to be something your not. A friend of mine owns a civic EX that looks and sounds dead stock right down to the muffler, he invested $1300 in the car and runs consisten 14.7s at 94.+...is that rice?

Perhaps some of of you mooks saying "if its not made in america, its rice" should open your eyes. I used to think the same way, but then I noticed soemthing. If you wish to see the same thing, come here, take a lil 30 minute drive from my house to Marysville, home of Hondas largest production facility.
Yes ladies and gentlemen, the rice poster car, the Honda Civic, is made in America, by Americans, about 8,000 inclusding all shifts. The body pannels and unibodies for teh civic, accord, CRV, and NSX are made in Dublin Ohio.
Wacha got for me now?
i wont hold ingnroance against you. Like I said, I used to be the same way. I'll still nevery buy a honda. A Mark IV Supra or Skyline, heck yea, but FWD is for girls :rolleyes:

·
Registered
722 Posts
BlackbirdSport said:
Rice is a visual statement, a total lack of taste and performance, trying to be something your not. A friend of mine owns a civic EX that looks and sounds dead stock right down to the muffler, he invested $1300 in the car and runs consisten 14.7s at 94.+...is that rice?

Perhaps some of of you mooks saying "if its not made in america, its rice" should open your eyes. I used to think the same way, but then I noticed soemthing. If you wish to see the same thing, come here, take a lil 30 minute drive from my house to Marysville, home of Hondas largest production facility.
Yes ladies and gentlemen, the rice poster car, the Honda Civic, is made in America, by Americans, about 8,000 inclusding all shifts. The body pannels and unibodies for teh civic, accord, CRV, and NSX are made in Dublin Ohio.
Wacha got for me now?
i wont hold ingnroance against you. Like I said, I used to be the same way. I'll still nevery buy a honda. A Mark IV Supra or Skyline, heck yea, but FWD is for girls :rolleyes:
Go look at the ownership papers on that company 30 minutes from your house ....... It's owned by the Japanesse! That makes everything that comes out of it a ricer in my book.

The US Auto makers lost to the influx of foreign trade back in the 70's because the government allowed a glut of cars, (Also Sony radios and other electroic products) to be shipped into the states. That forced US made auto sales down and caused GM, Ford and Chrysler to lay off Tens- of- Thousands of UAW members. In an effort to slow widespread unemployment, the government allowed Honda and Toyoto to build plants in the US as long as they hired US workers. So the UAW sent its worker to work in to these plant and because the US auto makers don't have the bulk of the market back they are still working there. If you dont beleave me, drop by your UAW local in your town and ask them. Or ......... go to the library and crack a book and read about it ....... it's all there in black and white!

I'd say the same thing to you that you said to us ....... QUOTE: "i wont hold ignorance against you. " (BTW, you spelled ignorance wrong).

And I add, You owe it to yourself to find the truth, it is often right under your nose, but you have to open your eye to see it! (i dont remember who said that, but I remember it from High School).

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hey BlackbirdSport,
BTW, I'm not arguing with you. I aggree that Rice is a visual statement. It has become that as i said above ....... Rice is commonly know as a lack of taste and performance by adding lettuce slicer wings, GFX kits and stickers ....... But that's not ALL that rice is and that'what I'm trying to get across in my post. A lot of Americans lost there jobs and there families because a short sited government allowed the mass import of goods into the states. In some sectors of our economy, we have never been able to recover. (Like the Auto Industry).

If we as Americans continue to by goods and services from companies that are owned outside of the US that money goes out of the US. It's that simple.

To make our economy strong, we have to keep the money at home!

It has been said that we will never have to worry about Japan attacking us with bombs again because if they want to take over the United States they will just buy more of it until they own it!

·
Registered
239 Posts
jesus, aren't there more productive things to do than argue over whether a car is rice or not. my god, come one people..who cares! just let it be

1 - 20 of 36 Posts