TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made a small improvement to my best ET & mph on the turbo car this weekend, and broke the transmission trying to get that 9 second pass.

My 60 ft times sucked on every pass and not because of traction, converter is just too darm tight. For my last pass of the night I turned up the 2 step rpms to get more boost off the line and held it on the brake a little longer than normal. When it came off the brake it felt like the tires were spinning hard, but it was actually slipping. 1st and 2nd are slipping and 3rd and reverse are completly gone.

Made a detour and dropped the car and trailer off at Alan's (Dirtydog) shop on the way home. In addition to fixing whatever is broken he's going to build me a new converter with about 3500-4000 stall and upgrade a few other parts for added strength. If it was going to break, glad it broke when the season was over and I was only 120 miles from Alan's shop.

David

PS: Timeslip data
RT .354
60ft 1.680
330 4.418
1/8 6.654
MPH 110.658
1/4 10.176
MPH 140.141

Peak boost was 19.5 psi

See this link for more info and pics of the car.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=39

·
Super Moderator
12,536 Posts
Wow!! Congratulations again are in order.

Glad you could get her back to Alan to fix up.

·
The Parts Guy
7,357 Posts
With the new slicks and Alan's converter, you'll get your 9's next year. Congrats on the new best, David.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Congrats

That may have been part of your 60 ft issue all along.

Glad it is trying to hook better with the new tires too!

At this stage of the game, its time to get it done for next year. You have all winter to do that.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Awesome! Great job!

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Awesome just awesome way to blow the doors off in a 4k lb street car.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
good job. next year will be it.
just think, with a bit of weight removal, you could have had that 9 second slip.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good job. next year will be it.
just think, with a bit of weight removal, you could have had that 9 second slip.
I know, but that isn't something I'm interested in doing. Probably could have gotten a 10.0 just removing the passenger seat, spare tire and jack, but I wanted to see what it could do at full weight.

Last time I had it on the scales at the track, it had a race weight (includes me) of 4250 lbs, but that was with the chrome cobra Rs, so it was probably more like 4200 with the Bogarts, slicks and skinneys. Reducing the 60ft time is where I need to concentrate the most, and I think the changes I'm making to the convertor will help a lot.

If I could just get it to launch correctly and reduce the 60 ft to around 1.55, I'm sure it will be into the 9s. With the looser converter I'll also be able to switch back to the correctly sized .96 AR turbine housing instead of choking the motor with the smaller .81 housing I'm using now.

I don't really mind that the transmission broke, because I wanted to change the convertor anyway.

David

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,518 Posts
Nice work! Especially considering the car's weight.

wow thats an awesome time! 19.5psi? thats crazy! curious to what kind of hp your putting down?
An estimate provided using those online calculators based on the weight, 1/4 time and trap speed puts it probably somewhere around 850 HP at the flywheel.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice work! Especially considering the car's weight.

An estimate provided using those online calculators based on the weight, 1/4 time and trap speed puts it probably somewhere around 850 HP at the flywheel.
Not that it really matters, but the ET is screwed up because of the converter issue, so it would be more accurate to use only the weight and MPH. Using this link, I got the following.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/et-hp-mph.php

Your Horsepower computed from your vehicle weight of 4200 pounds and MPH of 140.14 is 950.06.
Which equates to around 712 at the wheels with my transmission.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts