TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright well on average I get 10mpg.. Is this right or am I having some problem I dont know about!? Yes 3800 stall but that shouldnt affect it that bad should it? My speedo is off right now so it reads that ive driven 200miles but its really like 180or so. This all on a 16 gallon tank. Help! :) BTW if im gunna get this gas milage ill sell the car and drive a muscle car ;)

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Something else is wrong. Around town mileage should be pretty bad but on the highway mileage should be the same as it always was.
Alan

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
injectors? fuel pump? fuel lines? What yall think? BTW no codes

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Had the same thing on my 3.8. Got about 11-12 city and 16-18 highway. Check the plugs to see if they are black. If one or two are black then I would guess bad injectors on those cylinders. If all are then most likely 02s, FPR or fuel filter.

For me it was just one bad injector. Changed that out and its up to 18-20 city and 24-28 highway.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
That one's never made sense to me. The filter plugs up which restricts the fuel flow....yet the mileage goes DOWN. Seems backwards. :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
plugs are and fuel filter has less than 5k on them with some cheap arss wires. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have you checked the fuel pressure? How old are the 02 sensors?

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
also....you have PI heads, 3800 stall, and 3.73s...and you want kooks and aggressive cams...why are you so concerned about gas mileage...if you wanna play, you gotta pay.

joseph

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Vacuum leaks? Most likely to effect mileage.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If all the plugs are black, then its running too rich. If the 02s filter and wires and that are new then it seems like either the computer isnt set right or the FPR is bad. Check the fuel pressure and then go from there. If you have it running listen for any vacuun leaks, even a small one causes problems.

·
Resident Gun Guru
672 Posts
you didnt say if this is highway or town ? running a 3800 stall in town will crush your gas mileage...............

·
8,239 Posts
its only gas, its not like your not going to buy it anyways.

I think something is up because around town with the blower i still get 15-16.

I got low to mid 20's on the freeway.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
Well... get some decent wires first of all. Get some FRPP 9mm wires from Dan. Check and re-gap your plugs. When you pull the plugs, take some pictures of them being sure to mark which plug came out of which cylinder. In case you're wondering or don't know it's numbered Pass: 1, 2, 3, 4 Driver 5, 6, 7, 8. That should help us distance doctors a little more. Does the exhaust smell funny? Find a friend in an auto-shop or a decently equipped tech school and perform a KOEO and KOER test and tell us what the results are.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
btw.. you know the birds have an 18-gallon tank right? not a 16?

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I run it completely dry and cant get a ounce over 16gallons. Ive had gas problems since ive gotten the car.. The gas milage has not changed even with all these stinking mods. Milage is a mix of highway and city. about 70miles highway and rest city. Is there anyways I can easily check the vacum lines by spraying somthing?

Here is a picture of my engine bay.. Direct me where to look? I had the thing down to bare block and didnt notice anything? Hummm if I fixed this thing I would be much happier. Right now the only things unchecked are FuelPump and FuelPressure. I had the injectors checked awhile back. They were all turning on and off so thats good. hmmmmm pooooo :eek:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts