TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else is Uber excited about new transmission tech?

Currently this is the bird only controller for the 6r80 on the market. It’s a great trans and has been proven reliable over the years is been out in service.
here comes the good news.
US shift is planning on releasing a 10r controller beginning of next year. I think the best mod you can do to the bird, would be a new transmission. The several gears would absolutely help out the 4.6 in terms of torque. 10r’s are going for about 1k on eBay.
What do you guys think? I currently have a 98’ cobra engine chillin at my boys garage. I’d love to swap it already but I’d really like to see what a cobra+10r80 combo would feel like, specially with a centri supercharger. A roots would BLOW THE TIRES OFF EVERY SINGLE TIME.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Seems cool. There would be LOTS of shifting with 10 gears. One of my work vans has a 10R and it was ALWAYS shifting. It was a bit annoying, TBH. Though, that was a 3.5L v6 vehicle. A 10R trans behind a 4.6 could be completely different.

Though, if you end up doing this, you'd be the first one of us to do this and would be paving the way for others in the future.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Been a thought of mine for a year and a half. But the biggest issue youll face is packaging. The 10r80 is a super fat body all the way to the yoke. The 4r70 isnt nearly as big and tapers down. The trans tunnel follows this contour. So you might need to mod the body.

Something to keep in mind. Among other things.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My buddy has a 18gt with the 10r and in regular driving it seems like it’s constantly deciding what gear you want. In sport mode it’s a different animal, it holds the gears and keeps you in the right power band. Also the downshifts are rediculous!!

I’ve seen how far away the engine/trans is from the firewall and it seems like it has a good amount of space. Most definitely only 1 way to find out tho, I really think it has a chance of fitting without major mods.I bet you’d evengain some MPG BECAUSE the trans is so much more efficient. It’s likehaving a crazy rear gear around town and a super sleeper for the highway cruising. I’m pretty excited for them to release it. I’d like to do the 6r but if they pop out the new controller I’d rather wait before digging into the bird. I think it’s possible to use the stock shift from the bird to work the 10r.
P R N D S are the gears they have, S would be 2on our stock shifter. Also I seen for the select a gear feature, it allows you to use the cruise control up/down speed buttons as the up/down shift. Which had me thinking, these new cars use a drive by wire throttle body.How difficult would it be to adapt one on our manual throttle body,its able to blip the throttle on the down shifts to smooth the transition dropping gears.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I drove a 5.0 f150 with the 10 speed and with a louder exhaust hearing that thing downshift through the gears every stop gets old fast. I think a 6r80 would be good enough for me.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,353 Posts
Well I happen to be working on an engine swap on a 2011 Camaro right now with the 3.6 v6. This will give you an idea of how large these trannys are. Not trying to be a naysayer. But whoever decides to do this first will want to spend some time with the tape measure to get things right. I'll send a six pack of your choice to the first guy who gets this done and driving! :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I happen to be working on an engine swap on a 2011 Camaro right now with the 3.6 v6. This will give you an idea of how large these trannys are. Not trying to be a naysayer. But whoever decides to do this first will want to spend some time with the tape measure to get things right. I'll send a six pack of your choice to the first guy who gets this done and driving! :D
View attachment 45252 View attachment 45253
I think josh, I forgot his last name. He did a coyote/6r80 swap a little while ago and he didn’t have any issues fitting the trans. Since the 10r is about the same size I would believe it’ll work just as great!!

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,790 Posts
I'll be more encouraging, the trans tunnel is pretty oversized on these, and I think just about anything will fit in there to be honest. Bear in mind there is more rearward and upper bulk in the M5R2 to accommodate the extra physical gears and shift rails than the AOD/4R70W automatics. The trans crossmember will most likely need to be fabricated to work but I doubt there will be any sheetmetal concerns

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be more encouraging, the trans tunnel is pretty oversized on these, and I think just about anything will fit in there to be honest. Bear in mind there is more rearward and upper bulk in the M5R2 to accommodate the extra physical gears and shift rails than the AOD/4R70W automatics. The trans crossmember will most likely need to be fabricated to work but I doubt there will be any sheetmetal concerns
Great news to say the least, I always thought the engine was a bit too far forward. No wonder the weight bias is lame.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,353 Posts
I thought the offer of free beer for a job well done was encouraging 😁

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I must have missed where someone said Ford opted to move the engine forward. I know Matt said that the M5R2 transmissions were bulkier in the rear than a 4r70w so there might be enough room for the 10r80.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,790 Posts
It was said that the 5 speed manual for our cars was a tad bulkier than the 4r70w so ford opted to move the engine up a bit to compensate for that.
What? I mentioned their extra bulk in places but certainly never alluded to that. These cars were designed from scratch to use both transmissions, the tunnel would likely be a little bit lower and less bulky if these were designed for AOD sized automatics only since the case tapers quite a bit down midway through.

The poor weight balance is simply product of the styling and packaging, these cars were effectively “cab forward” designs stylistically mimicking mid engined sports car proportions popular at the time and providing more spacious packaging(negated for rear seat passengers by the fuel tank placement and size)

·
Super Moderator
11,772 Posts
The pantera swap would be cool for our cars, too bad there's so few donors, lol.

I got to drive a 72 and a 74 pantera at different times, it was an awesome car. The transaxle reminded me of the enterpriseD. :)

• Haha
Reactions: supergordo

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,009 Posts
The pantera swap would be cool for our cars, too bad there's so few donors, lol.

I got to drive a 72 and a 74 pantera at different times, it was an awesome car. The transaxle reminded me of the enterpriseD. :)
There's always a C5 transaxle if you want more prospects. I'd like to do that with a mid eighties short-box C10. Although it would be sweet in an MN12, too

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m looking forward to the swap, mainly because the birds gotta get with the times. The 4R is a great trans, handles abuse shifts just fine. But when it’s been almost 30 years of innovation in the trans dep, I think it’s time to upgrade while the cost of such parts is cheap. Even the 6R is a great swap, with the stock 3.27’s the first three gears in the trans makes the rear act like a 4.10 then it steps em down til you hit the highway gears.
Anybody done the 6r swap before??

there was a guy on the TCCOA Facebookpage who did the 6R in a maurader I believe.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts