TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh man, glad a I took the photos and looked at the IRS shot again...
The right spring looks broken again. Or maybe something stuck, sure does not look right to me.
Dang.

Those springs are about 4 years old, and they replace the (both) broken pair we had.

I guess I need to buy another pair and do it again.
Oh well, it's just going to storage shortly, I can buy a pair over the winter. Just another IRS tear down right?

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,426 Posts
Congrats! Always a big step getting to be a driver! Onward and upward!

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
The spacing on that spring looks a bit bunched up. If it's broken, perhaps it's collapsed? I fail to see how that would happen though. It's at the very least mal-aligned in the pocket.

For reference, this is what good condition springs look like. The two middle ones are rears.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It may be mis-aligned and not broken as you said. I have only seen them break at the top, about 2 coils in or so.
It's a bummer that I missed it whatever it is...
Either way I need to pick up the car, relax the suspension, unbolt the LCA and re-jigger it back home.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,102 Posts
Did you use spring perches. That is an inside joke around here, but would be good to know...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not use the Spuercoupe titanium core, platinum plated spring perches, they are out of my league.
They also looked unnecessary to me at the time...guess maybe I was wrong there.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,102 Posts
I don't know that they are needed, but the right spring looks shifted. You'll have to take it apart and let us know

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Did you use spring perches. That is an inside joke around here, but would be good to know...
I did not use the Spuercoupe titanium core, platinum plated spring perches, they are out of my league.
They also looked unnecessary to me at the time...guess maybe I was wrong there.
These are the ones that "aren't needed". If you got MK-VIII LCAs, this is the thing to get. Spring Perches. Several others will digress that spring perches aren't needed. If you have MK-VIII LCAs, you've just proven my point of there being a need to have them vs not having them.

Reactions: Zep5.0

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to agree completely.
I did question it, I did look at the Supercoupe parts for sale. I ended up not using anything.
You see the results.

I'm not a great mechanic, but still this ought to be more difficult to screw up than it is.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Reinstall the LEFT spring
How would adjusting the left spring resolve the issue for the right spring being popped out of place?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,060 Posts
How would adjusting the left spring resolve the issue for the right spring being popped out of place?
Because the right spring cannot move from its current position, the springs push down and outward on the arms, where it possibly “popped out of place” IS the right place when you don’t use perches.

The angle or fisheye of the picture is probably misleading, both springs in these cars angle outward at the bottom if you look straight behind them, the spring being 1/2” further out in the pocket wouldn’t be that visually perceptible. If it is as off as it looks I’d be more concerned with IRS alignment to the body

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My mind's eye is unable to create the imagery you are conjuring.

Starting with remove the left spring...you lost me. The right one's the issue.

I hate to require the spoon, but yeah I guess I do again.

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
20,060 Posts
The springs should not be installed dead center in the control arm cup, but instead off center where the lower isolators are against the outside corner of the LCA cup.

The springs push down and outward AT ALL TIMES, they cannot move from that position even without perches.

If the RIGHT spring is already there it won’t move further.

If the LEFT spring isn’t and is instead more centered it may shift to where it needs to be on its own, but might not and leave that side of the car sitting slightly higher.

No it’s not what Ford designed them for, Ford didn’t design them for coil springs period, yes it works this way. See pic of mine above, neither side has moved from that position since I put them there in 2017

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That is much more clear to me.
You're saying:
The right one may well be "home" in that awkward looking position. "Home" being the adopted position for MN-12 springs, using yours as an example.
The left one is vertical, and should not be. Again with yours as an example, move the left one to the MN-12 adopted "home"

I think I got that right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts