• 11>

Votes: 33 55.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting 11mpg no matter how I drive, wtf is wrong with my bird!

·
8,239 Posts
My 95 got 29 on the freeway with the stock converter, and 26 when i put in the mark converter.

It usually got about 19 around town.

Plugs/Wires/Maf/o2 sensors can all come into play with your MPG. Also, a 5w30 synthetic oil gave me an extra mpg or two.

Is the car running right?

You also might want to use some carbon cleaner or seafoam on that thing if you have done everything else.

How old is the fuel filter? If unknown then put a new one on. You also might want to think about dirty injectors, and have them cleaned at the rail.

Also, I saw a huge mpg gain when I had JW tune my car, my best MPG was 30.5 doing about 75 mph for a 9 hour drive.

JH

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
With the MPG being that low, usually it's O2 sensors - though sometimes the EEC does act up and hang open an injector. No codes? How many miles? Does it run rough?

If there aren't any codes, I'd start with the MAF clean and fuel filter replacement... then I'd see if the injectors are working okay... there are testers with an LED/light bulb that get hooked to the wiring harness instead of the injector... if the light blinks then It's okay - solid means you found it. If the injectors test out, then I'd look into O2s. Just my $0.02

Tom

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
I got 29.5 from Orlando to Charlotte, NC a couple of months ago, on a clean MAF and completely stock drivetrain. Still on crap wires and plugs too...Now I'm down around 15-17 around town because all I do is drive back and forth to school which involves a lot of sitting and going slow, stopping, going slow again, sitting for awhile, etc...

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
My 89 3.8L would get 3mpg... but that was doing 120mph on the I, took 1/4 tank to get to school, but I'd travel 22 miles in 11 minutes. :king:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I had cleaned intake, maf, new fuel filter and changed plugs, o2 sensors good .... still feathering like a grandma never getting it over 2k. The best i got was 13mpg... only thing i didnt change was my k&n filter which didnt look that dirty ... cleaned and viola ... min 17-19 city. 100% city.

·
Registered
159 Posts
9-10mpg around the city. :eek:

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
weeeelllllllllll

16-18 currently.. no matter what..

do have an o2 sensor heater circuit code(4 really):eek:

then again.. my nova gets like.. 10-12mpg hehehe :D

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't need comments I need answers.. I haved cleaned the MAF enough! The O2's are new! plugs and wires are new! put that in ur pipe and smoke it!

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
same here.. new o2s.. new plugs, wires, maf cleaned after i cleaned my k&n and waited a bit.. new IAC, new tps,

again, still have the o2 sensor circuit malf. codes

still only get aboot 17
JD

·
8,239 Posts
Dude,
If you don't know what to do with it, then take it to the dealer or something. Surely they will know how to service it. We have given you a thousand tips here.

JH

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
About 4mpg city, 10mpg highway in the SC'd Bird (runs rediculously rich.)
25mpg+ in the 3.8L BIrd. You can guess which gets driven more.

·
Registered
748 Posts
KRAZYKAT: Have you checked the injectors yet??? What about fuel filter?? How's the car running.....fine....... rough........depends??? How old are your flowmaster mufflers? This might sound weird.....but if they're rusted out internally........one of the baffle plates could be blocking part of the flow to the tail pipe. I know last year, when my Flowmaster's went out.......I was getting in the neighborhood of 12 mpg in town.....replaced them, went back up to 16-18 mpg.

For no more mods than what you have......you should have better mileage.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Slowride

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The exhaust seems to be flowing fine, flows are less then a year old. They WILL be replaced with custom exhaust system after winter..

I did not check the injectors since I really don't know how too.

fuel filter was replaced 10k ago

Seems to run fine, feel like its bogged down at times.

I had diagonistics ran and I was told my MAF was bad. I have a replacement stock one on the way. I was told this is the only problem I have.

If this does not fix I am taking the car back in and have them check again. Its free after the 1st time..

Code PO174 is present and has been present.. Yes I know what the problems could be with the code so dont list them. When have 20 different possibilites it kinda sucks! But oh well.. I should have my MAF today or tomorrow. I will let you all know!

Krazy

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
You may have to give in, get to a shop, and get diagnostics performed. It's possible it's a fuel delivery problem, or a PCV system problem, or a MAF voltage problem, or a ........

The Key On, Engine Running (KOER) test may provide answers. The simple Autozone reading cannot do the KOER test, so a dealership visit may be in order.

From the 1996 PC/ED Manual:

Key On Engine Off Self-Test
Key On Engine Off (KOEO) Self-Test is a functional test of the powertrain control system performed on demand with the key on and engine off. A fault has to be present at the time of testing for the KOEO Self-Test to detect the fault. When a fault is detected, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be output on the data link when requested by a scan tool.

Key On Engine Running Self-Test
Key On Engine Running (KOER) Self-Test is a functional test of the powertrain control system performed on-demand with the engine running and vehicle stopped. A check of the inputs and outputs is made during operating conditions and at normal temperature. A fault has to be present at the time of testing for the KOER Self-Test to detect the fault. When a fault is detected, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be output on the data link when requested by a scan tool. Technicians may be required to perform some action on certain vehicles during KOER in order to test some switches.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts