TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm thinking of building my new engine with stock pi heads, iron block, may do cams if I can fine a deal on some use ones. Ill use ford svt cobra rods, factory 2v crank and mahle flat top pistons. The compression should be 12:9:1 :cool: the svo on 9-10lbs. It will only run on e85 and ill spray it a 50 or 75 shot at the track. I don't know if anyone else has ran high compression with low boost and nitrous on tccoa. I don't want to pulley the svo anymore. I know I can but I think the compression bump would be sweet. Hope fully I can still get 22-24* of max timing with e85. Robertp and I have never built a high compression engine before. What do you guys know about high compression and boost? It also has AIS water/meth.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.... I know it can be done just curious if anyone has any input.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As usual I think if you guys are working on it, it will be one hell of an interesting project to see completed. I for one have never heard of a supercharged application with that much compression, but the NOS and the Meth should help you not to destroy it I would think. But that's just a guess lol. Either way Good Luck!!! I do hope it works out and is a true beast when it's done.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I think I would start it out with a stock SVO pulley first, then work your way up if you can. Last thing you want to do is blow another motor.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ill just start with low timing and it should just be a matter of adding it back till it stops making power. I have a lot of faith in "Renegade" e85.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
I don't know why

but I continually stick my neck out on the chopping block helping you guys out to run quicker than me but here goes.

1) The compression bump will work fine on the motor with the nitrous and the E85 since both like compression motors. Plain and simple. You must have the supporting cast to make it all work properly and properly tuned.

2) The SVO blower maybe not so much. I'd expect with meth and or the alcohol it will have to be tweaked sufficiently to make it all work properly. Still, thats a lot on that blower I believe. And you'll quickly exceed the limitations of that blowers capability.

3) By doing this you will be wasting well more power than the car can actually make. You NEED a fully set up set of heads (Ported, polished, TFS, ETC) on that thing to get burn and flow through those heads and the combustion chamber, Period. That includes proper cams or you'll destroy it as fast as you build it. The LSA has got a lot to do with keeping heat from damaging the pistons. Nick is the expert there and can get you more information on that to keep it in the safe range.

4) I believe that Rons car (TM) has basically reached the limitations on the blower with his new combination and the TFS heads. That being said, he can still likely make a little more power and run better ET's with the E85 combination he is planning and various other things to make it all more efficient. But as far as the blower itself, I expect its maxed.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well the blower can handle 13 pounds in stock form but that's about it, maybe more if ported I've got a nice pulley for monkeys car

·
3,734 Posts
race e85? Rob, fill me in on this. :D

·
Super Moderator
7,476 Posts
That is a lot of compression, especially for a supercharged application, and even more so for a supercharged application without an intercooler. NOS will reduce the IAT temps, but it will also create even more pressure in the cylinder. With stock cams, I don't think you would be able to keep the detonation under control under boost, even with E85, so in order to bleed off some of that pressure, you will have to run cams with a lot of overlap, which will push the powerband to higher rpms, which will push the limits of what the SVO blower can flow. Higher rpms will also mean more stress on the bottom end, and I would want to at least run a forged crank. After all that, I still don't think it would make that much more power to be worth it. I think your money would be better spent on a better set of heads, and keep the compression ratio in the 11:1 range.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well I could be wrong but with pump e85 and a 50 shot I had 22 degrees by 4000 and I'm almost certain I could have run 24 degrees with no issues

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Looking over that list, the first thing that comes to mind is, why introduce NOS, and all of it's headaches for a measly 50-75 shot?

Al

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I know the heads/cams are limiting factor and ill keep the blower with in its limits. I don't want the svo to be making a lot of heat. At some point I'll either port the pi"s or buy another set of trick flows. I built a 4.6 about 2 years ago for my mustang..it was simple low 9 compression and tf heads/cams. Ran great wish I didn't sell it. This one I want to be different. If it only make 390-400rwhp with svo alone. Fine I want to get more power through the RPMs. With spray I want no more than my one 405lph pump and 60's can handle. So I guess ill just have the test mule motor and see how it does. AL I love nitrous and I know it's a risk. Ill start small but I only plan to make max low 500rwhp. This engine should be able to take the nitrous. This is just a play toy car and Ill mostly use it for the track and a Sunday drive. If it does some how brake again then o'well. Ill build another lol

·
3,734 Posts
I'm tempted to run a 75 shot now...jeez.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
I'm tempted to run a 75 shot now...jeez.
It took a little to get there.....I didn't just slap the kit on and go race....well, actually I did! lol

but seriously, the car ran well for just a 75. I did however not tune the motor appropriatley...as I ran stock heat range platinum plugs, advanced timing, and no extra fuel.....it was basically a ticking time bomb...but it lasted through at least 40-50 bottles. Then I got greedy, and upped it to a 125 shot....well, lets just say that was the end! lol! I got about 1 more bottle out of it. I melted my spark plugs....even the porcelian.

·
3,734 Posts
It took a little to get there.....I didn't just slap the kit on and go race....well, actually I did! lol

but seriously, the car ran well for just a 75. I did however not tune the motor appropriatley...as I ran stock heat range platinum plugs, advanced timing, and no extra fuel.....it was basically a ticking time bomb...but it lasted through at least 40-50 bottles. Then I got greedy, and upped it to a 125 shot....well, lets just say that was the end! lol! I got about 1 more bottle out of it. I melted my spark plugs....even the porcelian.
Well good thing for me, I am running plugs that are 2 heat ranges colder thatn stock, have e85, and have headroom for fuel.

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts

Ok, back to 2004 - Factory STOCK NPI 96 engine, NA 13.89 and on the spray 125 shot, 12.80's (Both on 93 pump gas). It ran on spray consistantly for 4+ years (99-04) before the STOCK NPI swapped bullitt was put on it in May 2004. Only difference aftermarket fuel regulator and aftermarket fuel pump was used on both set ups.

Its kind of like a gun, its not if you have one but if you have one and KNOW how to use it. But like anything else, stock parts are only good for so long.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts