TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

About 1 1/2 years ago i bought some 12c Copper plugs from Five Star Ford, i've checked the plugs about every 3 months, and they have NEVER warn, at all. I've never had to adjust the gap. Does that sound right? When i use to run platinum plugs they would show wear with in 1 month, much less 1.5 years!

Also, at random, i am driving and the engine will start to sputter. sometimes it will sputter for a few seconds, and then continue, sometimes it will sputter and die (usually on the freeway). (The gas pedel is unresponsive) Could this be caused by the plugs? maybe one or 2 going bad? Or is it something else?

Another problem, my car is overheating. I can't figure out why, I've replaced the Coolant temp sensor, and the TSTAT. The only thing i can think of is the Radiator. The Fan is working fine. I thought maybe the water pump, but if it was the water pump, it would either work, or it wouldn't, and it works, so i assume its working properly.

One other problem, when i read the EEC, it shows that the engine is running rich in bank 1 and 2. What could cause this? Could it be the Jerry Chip Gen II? The 90mm MAF?

Thanks for the help,

If its not one thing, its another.

-Chad

P.S. I notice most people are running 22c Plugs. I know one of them is hotter and one is cooler. Which is better? How do i know if i need to run hotter or cooler plugs?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I believe most people are running 12's....I've mentioned 22's a number
of times in my posts because that's what I'm running with my AED.....

I'm going out on a limb slightly on this one....but, in theory at least,
hotter is "better"....

The hotter an ICE engine runs, to a point, the more efficiently it runs and
the more power it produces....in theory.

We use colder plugs to help prevent detonation.....I have been fortunate
for some reason (no doubt "The Man's" tune) not to have had any detonation
problems so I have continued running the 22's.

The first time I hear any detonation, assuming I don't loose the engine,
I'll go to the 12's (along with a few other changes, if necessary).

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
ccornett said:
Hey all,

About 1 1/2 years ago i bought some 12c Copper plugs from Five Star Ford, i've checked the plugs about every 3 months, and they have NEVER warn, at all. I've never had to adjust the gap. Does that sound right? When i use to run platinum plugs they would show wear with in 1 month, much less 1.5 years!

Also, at random, i am driving and the engine will start to sputter. sometimes it will sputter for a few seconds, and then continue, sometimes it will sputter and die (usually on the freeway). (The gas pedel is unresponsive) Could this be caused by the plugs? maybe one or 2 going bad? Or is it something else?

Another problem, my car is overheating. I can't figure out why, I've replaced the Coolant temp sensor, and the TSTAT. The only thing i can think of is the Radiator. The Fan is working fine. I thought maybe the water pump, but if it was the water pump, it would either work, or it wouldn't, and it works, so i assume its working properly.

One other problem, when i read the EEC, it shows that the engine is running rich in bank 1 and 2. What could cause this? Could it be the Jerry Chip Gen II? The 90mm MAF?

Thanks for the help,

If its not one thing, its another.

-Chad

P.S. I notice most people are running 22c Plugs. I know one of them is hotter and one is cooler. Which is better? How do i know if i need to run hotter or cooler plugs?
First, the 22C plugs are one heat range colder than the 32C - and C stands for copper. P means platinum and PP means platinum on both electrodes. The 12C plugs are 2 heat ranges colder than stock. Read this article I was using the 22C plugs after my headswap, but I still was having detonation problems, so I switched to the Lightning plugs (AGSF-12FM1) fine wire electrode platinum plugs and those are working great.

Copper plugs are only good for about 30K before they need to be changed. The plats go for 100K. Also the wires could be suspect. Have you ever replaced those?

I would suspect the water pump assuming your coolant is fresh and properly diluted. Check the "weep hole" and see if there's any coolant leaking out. Or you could have a hose blocked. How long ago did you replace the t-stat? Did it work fine right after?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Embalmer said:

First, the 22C plugs are one heat range colder than the 32C - and C stands for copper. P means platinum and PP means platinum on both electrodes. The 12C plugs are 2 heat ranges colder than stock. Read this article I was using the 22C plugs after my headswap, but I still was having detonation problems, so I switched to the Lightning plugs (AGSF-12FM1) fine wire electrode platinum plugs and those are working great.

Copper plugs are only good for about 30K before they need to be changed. The plats go for 100K. Also the wires could be suspect. Have you ever replaced those?

I would suspect the water pump assuming your coolant is fresh and properly diluted. Check the "weep hole" and see if there's any coolant leaking out. Or you could have a hose blocked. How long ago did you replace the t-stat? Did it work fine right after?
I've replace the T-Stat 3 times, all the same results. The plug wires are about 1 year old, and are the 9MM Ford Performance wires. They are still in perfect condition.

I've ran the copper plugs for long over 30k miles, yet again today i took them out, and they show NO sign of wear. The gap has stayed the same, and the electrode has no wear, it is still the same shape as the day i installed them. I changed the plugs to platinum plugs today, to see if the copper plugs were the problem.

How do I test the water pump to know if its going bad or not?

P.S. WHen i took the copper 12c plugs out, the upper electrode on all the plugs was a white color. Does that mean they are running too hot or too cold, or just right?

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts