TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone run in the twelves with a stock pi longblock or NPI motor? I know people have done it with ported heads and cams but anyone do it without?

·
Registered
893 Posts
So you're wondering if it's been done with a completely stock NPI or PI motor? I'd think that just wouldn't be possible.. maybe if you spray the piss out of it and have some 4.56 gears?
I'm looking for at least 12's NA with mine, but I have cams and and an intake on my NPI.

·
Like Titles Matter
2,129 Posts
Closest would be Langton. He had ported NPI heads with stock PI cams and intake on the stock NPI shortblock and went 12.99 or so that way.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're wondering if it's been done with a completely stock NPI or PI motor? I'd think that just wouldn't be possible.. maybe if you spray the piss out of it and have some 4.56 gears?
I'm looking for at least 12's NA with mine, but I have cams and and an intake on my NPI.
Stock internals namely pistons, cams, heads. Bolt ons obviously but no Nitrous. I'm getting close which is why I'm curios. Hopefully this winter it will happen.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
by looking at your mod list, I can tell that you could do it....based on your current ET/MPH, if you would go 4.30s, SVO or Bullit intake, electric water pump, you'll hit 12s, as each of those three things would be worth about 1/10th of a second drop on the ET, IMPO :)

also, have you datalogged any of your runs to see if you're shifting at the right RPM?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
by looking at your mod list, I can tell that you could do it....based on your current ET/MPH, if you would go 4.30s, SVO or Bullit intake, electric water pump, you'll hit 12s, as each of those three things would be worth about 1/10th of a second drop on the ET, IMPO :)

also, have you datalogged any of your runs to see if you're shifting at the right RPM?
I haven't had a chance to datalog yet due to my laptop taking a crap on me. Honestly I wouldn't know what to datalog?

I had 4:30's bought but ended up putting them in my wifes car...I have to keep her happy.

The electric water pump is on my list of things to try as well. I'm shooting for november timeframe to get everything done and ready. The weather should be good then.

Luke

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
well since it says "xcal tune" in your sig, I'm assuming you have a working Xcal2, correct? if so, you can datalog on-device (by setting it up with any PC), or with a laptop in the car hooked up to the Xcal2 (only advantage is you can log more parameters and longer time for the logs)

you can download SCT's LiveLink datalogging software from HERE for the latest version....if this one doesnt work with your Xcal2, then you can try the older version of Livelink from my MediaFire File hosting page

·
West Virginia Chapter Director /, MA Drag Race Te
2,643 Posts
Mine went a best of 13.19 @ 104.6 with the stock (Cast Iron) NPI block, Stock PI heads and cams, a Bullitt intake set up, JBA shorties at full weight (No weight reduction), on drag tires. Went several 13.20's that day too. Mason Dixon Dragway, Hagerstown MD.

I agree with KD, As far as I know JL had the first NA set up to the 12's although I know nothing about the actual set up.

Whats your car weigh and where are you running it (Track)?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car weighs 3600 last time I checked. I will work on getting that down a little more before going to the 1/4 mile track in october/november. I can get a more accurate weight then and update my sig.

I am running at Thundervalley in Noble (OKC) Oklahoma. The DA never goes below 500 even on the best day but one can hope...

·
2,643 Posts
The car weighs 3600 last time I checked. I will work on getting that down a little more before going to the 1/4 mile track in october/november. I can get a more accurate weight then and update my sig.

I am running at Thundervalley in Noble (OKC) Oklahoma. The DA never goes below 500 even on the best day but one can hope...
Looks like your car is 100-150 lbs lighter than mine. Mine is usually at 3750 give or take a few pounds.

Mason Dixon elevation is between 500-600 ft, before calculating in the condition aspect. Here in my part of he east Cecil County and MIR are much closer to sea level but both are a couple hours away from me. They both hook better also. Never got the car there to try in good air.

Whatever the case, you are doing a good job with the car. Stay at it!

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts

·
2,643 Posts
So with that said ----

I suppose no one has of yet hit it with a cast iron stock bottom end, stock heads and cams, with just bolt-ons.

I think JL just verified the answer to your question.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
I haven't had a chance to datalog yet due to my laptop taking a crap on me. Honestly I wouldn't know what to datalog?

I had 4:30's bought but ended up putting them in my wifes car...I have to keep her happy.

The electric water pump is on my list of things to try as well. I'm shooting for november timeframe to get everything done and ready. The weather should be good then.

Luke
I would consider 4.30s -again. ;)

I also would definitely go with a Underdrive crank pulley with the electric water pump. Those will all help on the sixty foot time which is where you're gonna have to get it done if you want 12s. ;)

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
i never got close to 12's na with my setup. However I did want to comment on this post. You dont have to "spray the piss out of it and have some 4.56 gears" not even close. I have 4.10 and 125hp N2O shot and went 12.41 with a completely stock PI engine. If just getting into the 12's is the goal, a 75 shot would might do it.

·
2,643 Posts
i never got close to 12's na with my setup. However I did want to comment on this post. You dont have to "spray the piss out of it and have some 4.56 gears" not even close. I have 4.10 and 125hp N2O shot and went 12.41 with a completely stock PI engine. If just getting into the 12's is the goal, a 75 shot would might do it.
That is true. My stock NPI with 4.10's and bolt-ons went 12.87's on a 125 shot. So it can be done that way too.

But he is pushing the envelope on the 12's without ported heads or aftermarket cams. I do believe it can be done. Its just a matter of time likely.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nitrous while fun is not the goal. I have ran 12.64 on a 75 shot. Fun but expensive and not really my thing at the moment. If I had my own fill station, well things would change.

Vic,

My best so far is 1.73 I am pretty consistently around 1.74-1.75 when I bracket race.

The plan currently is to get the electric water pump, aluminum front wheels instead of steel and lose 100 pounds. I am also going to datalog in the next week or two to get some feedback on shiftpoints.

Gears will happen but not till I procur another aluminum housing. I refuse to use the iron one I have in the garage.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts