21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
rotors

Ok dudes,

I just got this answer from DRT-Sport;

1 price only.

If you get 10 or more it will be $245.00 shipped include the new bolt pattern.

Woody

This is more than I expected as most sellers are not willing to chop off a third of the price. Anyone interested? We have 7-8 right now with myslef and a few from the SCCOA.
Did this evrgo through? 13 inch rotors with a 5 x4.25 bolt pattern ? can you send me the link thanks ken

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My bird makes 735 whp and it stops just as good on 65 dollar rotors as it does on my Baer 2 piece design ones, that were 400 bucks. All the slotted rotors do is chew your pads off.

I work on cars everyday, I can replace a rotor and get the customer a warranty, they warp they're replaced no questions asked. Also, you want a top notch rotor for the Cobra brake setup? Well the best is Brembo hands down but not many gonna pay that price.

Flex I'm just trying to save u guys some money.
X's 2 on what Robert said. I have stock ones on my mustang and KVR drilled ones on my Tbird and they stop just the same..
Would i like to have cross drilled & slotted on my mustang?.. Sure.. But only to match my rear rotors and for looks.. lol

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
X's 2 on what Robert said. I have stock ones on my mustang and KVR drilled ones on my Tbird and they stop just the same..
Would i like to have cross drilled & slotted on my mustang?.. Sure.. But only to match my rear rotors and for looks.. lol

All four rotors shipped to your door for that price is a pretty good deal. I know there are cheaper rotors out there but I was targeting a drill or slot rotor (or both) and factory rotors are not.

Cross drilling provides the fastest heat dissipation thus reducing fade from overheating but is the most prone to warpage and cracking under constant hard braking conditions such as oval racing. They also help to evacuate water in wet conditions.

It also has the advantage of reducing unsprung weight which every racer knows the advantage of. A lot of factory supercars come with cross drilled rotors, most likely for this reason.

Slotting is not as good at dissipating heat but helps clean the pads better allowing them to bite harder into the rotor. Unfortunately that increases heat. They are also less structurally harmful so reduce premature warpage as compared to cross drilling.

A hybrid offers advantages over either alone. There are less holes than with a purely cross drilled rotor so they are more structurally stable and better able to resist warpage. At the same time, they have the advantage of a harder bite and better water and heat dissipation.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a 1990 SC with standard brakes, will the 13" fit directly on my break system?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Standard t-bird pattern requires redrill as mentioned above. 13" rotor kits put on our cars require at least a 17" wheel for clearance. You would also need to relocate the caliper farther out to accommodate the larger rotor. 99-04 Cobra calipers are typically the choice when doing 13" rotors.
I do not know if you can use a different mounting bracket and retain the stock calipers tho. Can anyone verify that?

·
Super Moderator
4,889 Posts
Hi all,

I've got a 1990 SC with standard brakes, will the 13" fit directly on my break system?
You will need to at least upgrade to a 93+ spindle set so you can bolt on compatible calipers and a compatible bracket.

For a 1990, without the other changes, no.

RwP

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
One of the gentleman at the SCCOA spoke to the Cobra rotor seller again and managed to reduce the required number of purchases to 8 and managed to have the price reduced to $160 for the lower 48 states.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have done a little more digging and discovered that Chris didn't discuss a set of 4 rotors but only the fronts. So the $160 is for the 13" fronts only.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.