• 0ther.

Votes: 20 17.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 283 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to do some serious work to my bird after high school, my goal is to run 13's. What do you think I should do? keep my stock block, put in forged internals,pnp' ed pi heads, pi cams, and an AED blower, get a mark DOHC motor, and do some work, maybe a supercahrger, or get a Cobra engine. Any other options? I would also do the jmod, but in a better TC a MMC driveshaft and 3.73 gears. And exhaust and other bolt ons like that to go with what ever i do, and maybe a builitproof tranny. Or if have enough $$$$ a 5 speed. This is a long ways off but instead of getting a new mustang like I had been thinking about I want to have one kick *** Thunderbird. I just think that they're a lot nicer and have a lot more style than a mustang. Plus not everyone and the grandma has an MN12. :) Thanks.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about all the typos in the poll, I was in a hurry.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Who said anything about letting Grandma drivie a 13 second car? :ztoohot:

Anyhow I can futuristicaly see many if not allof us here on the boards hitting 10 seconds......... (10 seconds is my only time to be free!............9 for me to be fast!......... 8 seconds to be furiously fast and deadly! LOL)

Brighter note.............. Everyone drive low, safe and fast!
:thumbsup: :usa: :xpcool: :znanner: :ssalute:

Later

·
8,239 Posts
ask JL how to build a 13 second car.

He did it on a stock
200k romeo motor, with the only change to the motor being PI cams.

JH

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
-3.73 tracloc unit
-TC
-Tranny mod
-PI cams
-Driveshaft (safety)
-true dual exhaust with kooks headers
-AED (and a spacer for it)
-a good tune or chip to make it all work

I think those should do for 13s. Thats what I want to do atleast. Also add brakes to that list. Dont need to be the most expensive but with those mods you should make sure they are all in working order.

-Shawn

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How difficult would it be to get into the 12 sec. range?

·
Registered
987 Posts
why don't you just settle for getting it into the 10 second range.

:)
Sam

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Here's one way to get into the 13's with ease.

Of course, it isnt exactly the safest way to get into the 13's..........

can you say Boom?

·
Registered
488 Posts
if you have low mileage, i think a supercharger is a good way to get in the 13's. im in the 13's now.

its not that hard, you will have to upgrade the fuel pump, maf, injectors, and tune your computer.

.... as well as bolt on the blower.

i didnt think it was that hard to install. mine is a vortech s trim though.
the aed's look tough but ive never messed with them.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Slap a blower on a '96 4.6 car and 13s are easy. $4000 with trans upgrades
How long will it last, not forever for sure.

A high compression NA motor built with the right parts can get you 13s and you will likely be able to drive it for a long time. $6000 with trans upgrades.

12s, you need a blown motor that can handle high boost levels. $10000

You can spray for less, but you still need the serious motor to make it work.

·
Registered
391 Posts
If it were me I'd stay with the heads i have and go with new internals. New rotating assembly, cams, valvesprings, etc.. Too many people are scared of non PI heads. Just get quality work done and select the right parts and it will work great. That is as long as money isnt too big of an issue, seeing how expensive our motors are to build.

My 2 cents

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
My Mix

20s, Paxton, Je Pistons, NX Nitrous oh yeah and a speed hole :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Stephen C said:

:ztoohot:Just say NO TO NITROUS!!!!:ztoohot:
Just say be smart with nitrous. Its easy to be righteous with the nitrous. You just have to do some research and pay attention when the bottle is on. If you understand whats happening with the spray and understand the system it can be an easy and relatively cheap way to go fast. Its all a matter of knowing what you're doing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Just say be smart with nitrous. Its easy to be righteous with the nitrous. You just have to do some research and pay attention when the bottle is on.

That is true. And it's the same with blowers and turbos too. If you just slap it on then something is gunna go BOOM!!!!

I'm just a hard core N/A guy myself. I like to see lighting fast cars that do it on:bowdown: motor alone!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
AverageJoe said:

Just say be smart with nitrous. Its easy to be righteous with the nitrous. You just have to do some research and pay attention when the bottle is on. If you understand whats happening with the spray and understand the system it can be an easy and relatively cheap way to go fast. Its all a matter of knowing what you're doing.

correct. The biggest part I think, is understanding the exact system you are using. But I also figure that even if everything is perfect, one little inconsistency in the system can have a dramatic effect on things (see picture above), still havent quite figured out the exact cause of that backfire, it happened within a second, I think the engine bogged on launch bringing the rpms way down. Of course that allowed pooling of the fuel in the intake, and boom there she blows.... I am going to be hooking in a RPM window switch to prevent the nitrous and fuel from being sprayed in the intake at too low of an RPM.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
Joel,

Did you launch on the gas ? Is the trigger switch setup at about a 1/4" from FT? What jets are you running? You need to be at very least 2500 rpms to have enough velocity in the intake system for nitrous injection. I come out of the hole on just the motor and at around 10 ft or so I hit the throttle all the way and engage the system. A window switch is a really good Idea and I may go that way myself.

Mark

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Richard: That is a Wet system.

Mark: I had the engine tacked up to 2000 rpms, car for me at least, seems to launch better bringing it up against the TC, versus flashing it. and instead of rolling into it, I just flat footed it off the line, which is my mistake, the system is set to not come on until about 1/8" from full throttle.

The week before I was launching it as you do Mark, and was netting 2 flat 60 ft times on those street tires, I was running a set of DR's this time, and I got over zealous in looking for a lower 60ft time. I can promise that will be a mistake that shall not again be made.

I think the window switch will be another good safety measure, as replacing intakes can get pretty costly.:D

1 - 20 of 283 Posts