TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does it take to get a 3.8 thunderbird into the 14's? How many here have done this?

Id like to see a naturally aspirated list if there is such a thing. :D

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
14s? i would say heads, cam, intakes, upgraded exhaust, gears or higher stall as far as the big things are concerned.

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Mike has got the right idea. Though Im expecting to go to the track and hit 14's before I do the tranny upgrades (which are on the way). If you got big valve heads and an aggressive cam along with ported intake, larger throttle body, and exhaust I think it's possible. My cam and heads are made for turbos so the low end kinda sucks.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
AEDM8 said:
What does it take to get a 3.8 thunderbird into the 14's? How many here have done this?

Id like to see a naturally aspirated list if there is such a thing. :D
Being towed by a Vortech blown 3.8L? ;) I only know of 1 3.8L 14.9 in the 14's so far, and he ran a 14.9. I went 15.4 with no belt and I think I could squeak 14.9 out if it if I removed the blower and extra wieght.

·
8,978 Posts
rancherlee said:
I only know of 1 3.8L 14.9 in the 14's so far, and he ran a 14.9.

WHO WAS IT?!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are these engine really that slow? Damn, that sucks.

So ported heads, intakes, 207/215 cam, redone exhaust, 1.73's, 3000 stall converter and Lentech VB, weight reduction (pretty much anything you dont need), underdrive pullies, tune and 3.27's wouldnt get it done?

Any ballpark ideas where I would be at?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
AEDM8 said:
Are these engine really that slow? Damn, that sucks.

So ported heads, intakes, 207/215 cam, redone exhaust, 1.73's, 3000 stall converter and Lentech VB, weight reduction (pretty much anything you dont need), underdrive pullies, tune and 3.27's wouldnt get it done?

Any ballpark ideas where I would be at?
sounds like my setup except I have 3.73's, probibly mid-low 15's..... you never go to the track anyhow :D

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Thomas said:
WHO WAS IT?!
someone on the old board about 3 years ago. It was a 96', he then sold it and got an SC.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I know, bench racing at its finest.

Just trying to get an idea of where I would be at IF I ever went. Sad that these cars are so slow. Time to put money into my AED again I think. :)

·
8,978 Posts
rancherlee said:
someone on the old board about 3 years ago. It was a 96', he then sold it and got an SC.
I know there was that one guy with the cougar with the mach1 hood that claimed a 15.2 but I never heard about the 14.9 guy. Well I guess now I have someone to beat.
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
AEDM8 said:

Just trying to get an idea of where I would be at IF I ever went. Sad that these cars are so slow. Time to put money into my AED again I think. :)
ya, you better, before I get around to building the 4.2L for my car and cranking the boost WAY up.

·
8,978 Posts
AEDM8 said:

But parts are cheap. it didnt take me much to hang with the 5.0's back a few eyars ago.
-Thomas

·
Registered
300 Posts

An engine swap :tongue:
lol damn slow cars not bad for an underpowered motor in a big car but still.......but now with my system out its seems a little faster......but then again I took all the stickers off and my silver interior to sell it so the stickers off i for sure lost like 25 horse lmao :tongue:
I would say alot of work to get 14's tho and some 3.73 and a nice stall converter should help alot but by that time u could of bought an sc and 1/4 the money to do 14's lol.....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
But then you would have an SC going 14's, nothing really special there....Id like to see it done NA.

Maybe I should have asked what it takes for these cars to be able to do a burnout. LOL. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
99 cent bottle of blech does a nice job and an extra set of tires because these were gone fast and i drove around all weekend with them on to have some fun by the time i was close to the wear bars the mighty v6 would spin them without the brakes.......lol

Fun times going to a big car meet here in windsor that they have every saturday with alot of ricers stangs and ta's....then the might sleeper burnout that made no sound but smoke everywhere and it was spinning posi in these pics

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rancherlee said:
ya, you better, before I get around to building the 4.2L for my car and cranking the boost WAY up.
I dont think you'll catch me with nitrous on the car. :tongue:

Nice pictures BTW....although bleach is cheating. :) Let see a NA 3.8 do it without any kind of assistance.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
stall converter = massive burnouts. I had NO trouble spining both 255/45r17's all the way through 1st gear after I installed the Converter and before I installed the vortech.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So that Lentech and 3000 stall converter will easily get me to burnout bliss?

Still cant believe that it takes so much to make these fast. Serious question, what is holding this engine back so much?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts