TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one with a little over 90k, but I have 78k on my car, is there a way to modify it and put 78xxx on it? :D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Well I rolled mine up, I suppose you could use the same technique to roll it back too. I've posted it a few times and am too lazy right now to post full directions so either search or deal with the quick explanation... ;)

loosen the trip OD and pry up the bar above the regular OD between each number and spin the number, then repeat with the rest.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DMcBrideBoston said:
I've rolled mine plenty of times.....This isn't the safest way to do it, just the quickest and easiest.

Take a flathead screwdriver and turn the little gears in the direction to lower the miles, MAKE SURE YOU GO THE CORRECT WAY.

Dave

Whats the correct way?? Aahh, backwards, right? :tongue:

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
you can brake the little blue gear inside the odometer by just rolling the numbers back with a screw driver..

the safest way to do it. is to pull the needle off and take the speedometer apart and take off the metal bar and all the little gears that keep the odometer numbers in place. then set the mileage and put it back together. thats what i did. all you need is some little screwdrivers.

the way shadow dragon did it was easier but basically accomplished the same thing as me. he just pulled up on the little metal bar with something and rolled the numbers and then let the bar back down. i tried this and felt like i was putting to much preasure on the bar. i was scared of breaking something so i just took it apart.

Frank

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
DMcBrideBoston said:
I said my way was not the safest, but it is the easiest.
i know. and i said my way was the safest but not the easiest.

gotta have patients to do it my way (especially if you got big hands like me).

Frank

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
take the speedo apart so that you're holding just the clear plastic part with the numbers. Now push the top bar out and let the little grey gears fall out. Reset mileage, replace gears/bar, reassemble. It's really easy (but I didn't tell you that).

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
I couldn't get the bar out so I just pried it up enough to free the grey gears from the numbers.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank for the helps guys, I'll try it today after I get home from work :D

·
Registered
663 Posts
You can always do it the Ferris Beuller way, but that may only work on Ferarris. :D

B

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Silver95Bird said:
take the speedo apart so that you're holding just the clear plastic part with the numbers. Now push the top bar out and let the little grey gears fall out. Reset mileage, replace gears/bar, reassemble. It's really easy (but I didn't tell you that).
this is how i did it

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I got a speedo with a working odometer and tripmeter from the junkyard today. I couldn't find a '96 V-8 with the intake tubing, but that's another story. I successfully rolled back the mileage close to what my current one reads, but the numbers aren't aligned exactly right. I want to take it apart and do it the hard way. Does the needle snap right off or will I break it if I pull too hard?

If I just want to repair my current odometer/tripmeter, what do I need to take out of the junk one to make it work?

Thanks

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
Use a fork and place the tines parallel with the needle, then rock it forward.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
ShadowDragon said:
Use a fork and place the tines parallel with the needle, then rock it forward.
That did the trick, although this tiny little O-ring looking thing popped out and got lost on my carpet somewhere. I dropped it, found it, then dropped it again while I was trying to put it back in place. Is this part necessary to keep the needle straight?

I was able to pop one side of the bar out which allows turning of the odometer numbers easily. I checked the plastic odometer gears, and the main 16-tooth one is cracked, but all the teeth are in tact. The tiny 20-tooth gear has quite a few teeth missing. :( I guess it was on its last legs too. The odometer read over 200,000 miles the way I found it.

Is there an easy way to take the speedo out of my 'Bird? I unbolted a couple, but then just ripped the plastic out at the junk yard car to save time. I noticed a couple more bolts hidden under the bottom plastic underneath the steering column. The freaking Haynes manual is talking about removing the center console, taking out the stereo, removing some door panels, removing the whole steering column and reaching through the glove box. All this just to get to the speedo? This can't be right. *sigh*

Sorry for the annoying questions. I annoy myself just asking them sometimes. <g>

·
Illinois Chapter Director
1,787 Posts
All ya have to do is remove the cluster surround and the trim under the dash. Then it's just a matter of fighting with the damn rear defroster harness and pulling the four retaining bolts out of the cluster. There's a small torx bit that holds the plastic cover over the gauge faces. I did this yesterday on my car.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
The rubber o-ring that goes around the trip odometer reset? not neccessary, it will just let more light in.

To remove speedo.

Three bolts to remove colored piece under steering column.

Two bolts behind there, two at top of bezel to remove black trim

7? torx head bolts to remove the clear plastic from in front of the gauges.

Pull on speedometer.. voila!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts