TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 4.6 T-Bird and want to put in the 145 mph speedometer,which do I need?The one out of a 94-95 SC or the one out of ?(year) SHO?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
get a 94-95 SC I think the SHO you might have to modify a little to get it to fit. I just put a 145mph in my 96 last weekend and it was a piece of cake to do

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered one.....

but I cant remember if I ordered the SHO or the SC.Oh well,I will find out when it comes in.Does anyone have a pic of the 94-95 SHO?
Thanks,
Chris

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Not through Ford.....

No,i ordered it through a salvage yard.I am getting the whole thing.He said it had like 74000 miles on it so I was like "go ahead" because that is close to my mileage now.
Thanks,
Chris
Just read the tech article and the only difference is the lighting,no big deal.I should have it this week and hopefully Gene will have a white face for it to match the others I just put on.That was dumb,lol.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that one since it goes to 150 instead of 145. And since I was changing the face anyway I don't care if it lit up yellow. I just didn't want to either drill another hole through the clear plastic or lose my trip odometer.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drill a hole?????

What do you mean drill another hole through the plastic?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
Re: Drill a hole?????

LX-Tasy said:
What do you mean drill another hole through the plastic?
Thanks,
Chris
The 150mph ones I've seen have all relocated the trip odometer reset to the upper right instead of being inside the lower left of the gauge. That and it's electronic and above the regular odometer.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man,that sucks.....

I am HOPING that it isnt that much of a pain.I am like you,I dont feel like drilling another hole in my plastic.I will just have to wait to see when it gets here I guess.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
You do NOT want an SHO speedo. I am the one who brought it up in the first place. It is a possibility for the 97 model year ONLY

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok then.....

N/M

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It was a SC I ordered..read BlackTbird96

I called up today and it was an SC cluster I ordered.I couldnt remember what it was because i was looking at both but I did get the SC.This is a DIRECT swap for mine,right?I know you said you did it BlackTbird96,what all was involved?
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
First you unscrew the dash to pull out the guage cluster. There is like a 100 little bolts in there.

Second, take the cluster out and unscrew the clear plastic from it

Third, Take the clear plastic piece and the black plastic piece out the cluster

Fourth, Pull the speedo out, Its not screwed in or anything.

Fifth, Push in the new speedo

Sixth, Put everything back together and go drive it to make sure it works, if not go to step seven.

Seven, Kick the car, cuss a couple times, Throw the screw driver, and the go back to step 1.

Any questions? Just go try it, its nothing hard. A monkey can do it.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
LOL, I like #7.

Just to clarify,

There are three large bolts on the lower dash below the steering wheel, Three on the black trim above the steering wheel and two in the top of the cluster.

Then the 7 or so long t-15 ones holding the clear and black plastic to the cluster. You do not need to take the cluster itself out of the car, just the clear and black plastic in front of the gauges themselves.

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
krusher said:
is $125 good for a 145 mph speedo? sounds kinda high but that's the first offer i got.
I paid $55 for the entire cluster...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
See i was going to do that but i didn't have the t-15 bit or a socket to fit on there so i took it all out, Only 4 bolts holding the whole thing in there. And then 2 plugs on the back. So after i got it out i took a big wrench and grabed on to those bolts and it took at 5 mins a bolt. I ALMOST went to the store and get the right tool but i was to lazy. But next time, I wil go to the store.

The first time i put the guage in, i din't push the needle on far enough so after it was all together the needle fell off :( So had to take out all 7 of those bolt with my big wrench. what should have been a 20min job took about 3hours haha I was slow.

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try to get it for $100.....

krusher said:
is $125 good for a 145 mph speedo? sounds kinda high but that's the first offer i got.
Try to get it for $100.I am not paying $125 for mine and I am getting the whole cluster.See if he/she will work with you on the price.
Chris

·
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the info....

BlackTbird96 said:
First you unscrew the dash to pull out the guage cluster. There is like a 100 little bolts in there.

Second, take the cluster out and unscrew the clear plastic from it

Third, Take the clear plastic piece and the black plastic piece out the cluster

Fourth, Pull the speedo out, Its not screwed in or anything.

Fifth, Push in the new speedo

Sixth, Put everything back together and go drive it to make sure it works, if not go to step seven.

Seven, Kick the car, cuss a couple times, Throw the screw driver, and the go back to step 1.

Any questions? Just go try it, its nothing hard. A monkey can do it.
Thanks.I already knew how to get the assembly out but wasnt sure if it was a direct swap.I just put in white face gauges last week so now I have to get Gene to get me a white face for the SC speedo.
Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hey no need to get upset here, You wanted to know so i told you. If you read it, it tells you how to take the speedo out of the car to put in the new one. Those are all of the directions to do it. Didn't want to just tell you YES and that be all, Just thought i would be nice and tell you how.

And if it didn't help you it might help someone else reading it so they wont have to start another thread on how to do it. There is already like 3 thread on this going.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts