TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I now have over 200k. I was going to retire the old bird @ 200k but have not yet. This T-bird keeps going and going. The only main repair I have ever done ever was replacing the intake and balljoints. Everything else is factory installed and I mean everything (except the usual wear items like tires, oil etc). Everything else is still as delivered in 09-1997, including the shocks, O2 sensors, trans., heater core, wheel bearings, brake rotors, springs, engine, paint, all lamps. I may as well stop now as I could keep typing for a while. Needless to say, my 1997 T-bird have been a very trouble free car. The paint looks brand new still! Guess soon I will pass it on to my daughter. I have no idea what to buy as no current cars really interest me (that I can afford). Finally I will say this; I did the "J-mod" about 9 years ago and added a 20k trans. cooler & mercon V, it must have helped...

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
If you replace all the bushings, tie rod ends, toe adjusters, driveshaft, shocks, the 4 rubber brake lines at the calipers, and every vacuum line on the car, it will last another 15 good as new.

(Assuming it's been maintained properly, and will continue to be.)

My car's suspension has been totally rebuilt, and it felt like a new car; I added suspension bracing and good shocks, and it feels like it's glued to the road. :)

Those are the things I'd expect to start going bad after 200k; adding a tranny cooler and jmod probably saved you from doing tranny work already.

When the tranny dies, a later model 4r70w is a cheap thing last I checked.

These cars are incredibly reliable, and get great gas mileage if you keep your foot out of the throttle. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts