TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy i want to put a vortec or procharger kit on my car, it has 150000 miles will it last with 6lbs of boost? And what do i need to run the kit on my car?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i guess no one has an ansewer.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Here's my take (I didn't read your post yesterday). :D

Will it "last"... yes. How long will it last is a VERY different story.

Personally I would be VERY, VERY leery of supercharging a 94 4.6L with 150K miles.

Here's why:
Leaking valve stem seals. Oil in the combustion chamber in addition to boost is a very bad combination (it promotes pinging and thus broken ring lands)
Worn piston/rings. The 4.6L does use low-tension rings, so they don't wear out as quickly and the cylinders run cleaner and that also helps. But 150K miles and boost is asking a lot from those stock rings.

If I were considering that, I would look into a cheap, low mileage 4.6L and bolt the blower to that. Then, do an engine and blower swap as one unit. Don't open the engine; just rely on the low mileage. IMHO, anything below 80K should be "ok" for low boost.

Just my .02. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Putting $3000 dollars on top of an engine that has 150,000 miles is not what rebuilding a car is all about. If you don't have at least $10,000 into rebuilding the suspension, the exshaust, the intake, the wheels, the tires, the tranny, the rear end, the brakes, not to mention the intrerior and paint, then you are just putting the cart in front of the mule. Build a good dependable ride first. Nothing feels better than that car riding and looking like new.

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Agreed. Broken ring lands...:rofl: :rofl: I broke 4 of them on an N/A 1994 block...no nitrous, or blower. they aren't the strongest engines when you start asking more from them. If you are gonna go blown, expect to pay at least $3,000 in just the bottom end...That is if you want it to last. To do it "right" and upgrade your fuel system, have the heads machined, new misc engine parts, etc...+ transmission/ rear-end upgrades...Hope you have deep pockets :D basically, to do it "right"...plan on around $8-10,000.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Hollywood Ed said:
Putting $3000 dollars on top of an engine that has 150,000 miles is not what rebuilding a car is all about. If you don't have at least $10,000 into rebuilding the suspension, the exshaust, the intake, the wheels, the tires, the tranny, the rear end, the brakes, not to mention the intrerior and paint, then you are just putting the cart in front of the mule. Build a good dependable ride first. Nothing feels better than that car riding and looking like new.
:zwthstpd:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts