TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question about the 150MPH speedo. I got one for my car, and when I set the needle down at a steady of speed of 25, everything is good. 10, 20, 30,MPH is just about right on and accurate. But then when I start cruising around 60 or 70, It will say i'm doing something like 87-90 MPH.

The high speed I go, the more off it is, but then at speeds of 30, 20, and 10, it's accurate.

I have tried placing the needle at a steady 70 miles an hour, and then, when I get down to the slower speeds, 40, 30, 20, 10,MPH, once again it is inaccurate..

I have been reading a lot of threads and a lot of people have been saying it's a drop in and plug n play set. Well, I still have a difference. I have a stock 3.27 TL rear end. Stock tranny. Would I need to change my speedo gear, does that has to do anything with what's happening??

I put my stock 120 MPH speedo back in, put the needle on at a steady 25, and it is accurate all the way to to 90MPH. If you have any information that would help, that would be great! =)

·
Registered
917 Posts
pretty sure you have to change the speedo gear. but did you drop in a 150mph instrument cluster or just the overlay on top of your old cluster? there's a difference.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
I think he meant the speedo gear in the cluster..not the one on the VSS..?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will respond to all 3 quotes here below.

pretty sure you have to change the speedo gear. but did you drop in a 150mph instrument cluster or just the overlay on top of your old cluster? there's a difference.
I took the tbird 120MPH speedo out, (pulled it from the cluster), I took the odometer and trip meter off and transferred it over to the SHO 150MPH because I though this would be a plug-n-play transfer. Then I installed the 150MPH into my cluster. It fit perfect after I cut that little plastic tab on the bottom right.

You don't have to change speedo gears for a speedo swap. I can't think of any other explanation other than a faulty speedo head.
Darn. That's what I was thinking. I did kind of wrangle it around a little bit. I guess I could have damaged it. Oh well... Darn after looking for soo long, I found one and it's faulty.. :(

I think he meant the speedo gear in the cluster..not the one on the VSS..?
I believe I am referring too the VSS. The speedo gear that needs to be in the tranny. I know you must swap that out for some major gear changes. Just wondered if that had to do anything with it.

I guess the only other way to say the problem is,

I set the needle at 25MPH, with my GPS, both are matched at 25MPH perfectly. I come to a stop. I proceed back to 25MPH, and it's the same and accurate.

I hop on the freeway to see how it does. When i'm doing 40, It says 43-44MPH. Then at 50, i'm doing 57ish.

I look at my GPS, and start going 60-65MPH. My SHO speedo now reads 75-80MPH.

So as I go a little faster, the little more off it is.. I wish I can find another SHO speedo, so I can try another one and see what happens.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X2 on the faulty head, My SHO speedo read more accurate than the stock 120 from my 97 cluster.
Well now that I got the assurance, I will have to see about taking this back to pick ur part for an exchange.... Maybe i'll get the RPM or Gas/Coolant, and will just have to wait for another 150MPH.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for letting me know, I'll grab that tach, and hopefully that one ain't messed up.

·
̇
3,701 Posts
There is no speedo gear on the cluster.
They might have a different name but there is gears inside the speedometer gauge..That's what i was referring to..and they may in fact be a different size..but I don't know for sure..that could be why his speedo is reading wrong..if he just used the overlay that says 150 and not the actual internals of the speedo gauge..

Thanks..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They might have a different name but there is gears inside the speedometer gauge..That's what i was referring to..and they may in fact be a different size..but I don't know for sure..that could be why his speedo is reading wrong..if he just used the overlay that says 150 and not the actual internals of the speedo gauge..

Thanks..
Hello,

I got what you mean. :D Thanks for your help and input. =D

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
this is sort of on topic...

i was looking for those red needles and found this:

that's in a 99 sable. is that the same as what you wanted?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
so those are the same? OP you still need/want them?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get the tach only, the gas/coolant gauges have the dummy lights are all switched around between the sho and mn12. The tach is like that too, but its worth getting for the added rpm range:)
Hey XR7-4.6,

Did you do any rewiring or anything for the dummy lights? I see how they are kinda changed around, as I saw a few SHO clusters. Wondering if there is anything to do about it.

·
Super Moderator
16,986 Posts
Mine are all sorts of f-ed up in the way they light up, theres only one or two that are the same between stock and sho. Drives me nuts.

I think they can all be repinnned, but I dont have a wiring diagram for the taurus to compare too. I do know if i was to repin them i'll have a rats nest of wiring behind the cluster because alot of the wires would have to go fron one connector to the other.

Best option is to get new faces from scott, I just personally like the stock faces too much to get them.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine are all sorts of f-ed up in the way they light up, theres only one or two that are the same between stock and sho. Drives me nuts.

I think they can all be repinnned, but I dont have a wiring diagram for the taurus to compare too. I do know if i was to repin them i'll have a rats nest of wiring behind the cluster because alot of the wires would have to go fron one connector to the other.

Best option is to get new faces from scott, I just personally like the stock faces too much to get them.
I am very interested in electronics, and I would like to conquer something like getting all the SHO gauges and do that little rewiring for the cluster. So all I would really need is wiring diagrams from the Taurus SHO and our wiring diagram for our cluster, and just repin and rewire what wire for what dummy alarm picture

1 - 20 of 30 Posts