TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sounds like a strange question but I have purchased a set of what were called 96 to 97 wheels and have found out that they are actually the 89 to 95 wheels.
My question is will these early style wheels accept the 96 to 97 style caps with the simulated lug nuts.:(

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You mean they are 92-95 SC wheels? The 96-97 Sport centercaps should fit no problem. The only difference in the wheels is that the 92-95 SC wheels have a niche to stick a tool so you can pry the centercaps off.

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
tinman_72 said:
You mean they are 92-95 SC wheels? The 96-97 Sport centercaps should fit no problem. The only difference in the wheels is that the 92-95 SC wheels have a niche to stick a tool so you can pry the centercaps off.
So if I get 94-95 SC caps they will fit on the 96-97 sports as well?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
tinman_72 said:
This is only partially correct, yes there is a notch in the 93-95 SC rims for removing the cap. The 96-97 wheels also have 5 snap features while the 93-95 SC wheels have 3 snap features. When installing the covers from the 96-97 wheels in the SC rims it will not be as secured as it should be and you risk them coming off when you hit a bump in the road. Now if he has the 89-92 wheels it will not fit at all.

Oxman- Yes you can do this it is just difficult to remove them because of the lack of a notch and the extra snap features. You can scratch your rims and break a center cap if not careful.

-Miller

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
park7163 said:
...My question is will these early style wheels accept the 96 to 97 style caps with the simulated lug nuts.:(
Simulated Lug Nuts??

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was not aware of the difference between the 89 to 92 and the 93 to 95.I was wondering if you could tell me which wheels I have if I e mailed you a picture.I would need your E mail address as I cannot seem to get the picture to go in the forum.
Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
My '97 7 spoke sport rims only have three "snap lock" positions and I can barely get the plasctic caps (with metal ring that snaps into the detents) off without breaking them. It would be impossible if they had used 5! they are a SOB to get off as it is.

If the other rims/caps are anything like the 7 spokes I can't imagine them flying off in a violent accident let alone daily driving....

·
Registered
2,806 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wheels

I got your links and I can not see the difference between the 89-92 and the 93-95.I have not recieved my wheels yet so as soon as I have got them I will check the engineering number,s on the wheels.The picture I have of the wheel has one access recess and two retaining wedges, but in the pictures that you sent they look the same.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
89-92 are non-directional for starters. The drivers side sweeps rearward while the passenger side sweeps forward. they are also completely different 5 spoke designs, look closely. The others are directional rims.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately all I have at this point is a picture of one wheel of the set of four so it is hard to tell.
I guess I will wait till I get the set .

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
If you look at the pictures above you can clearly see they are a different spoke design between the two. Very different. I already know whats different but I can still tell if I look at those pics above. The only thing the 89-92 & 93-95 have in common is they are both a "swept 5 spoke" wheel. Look a the shape of the spokes and how they join the hub area.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes
I copied them to my pictures and looking at them side by side I see what you meen.
I guess the set I have coming are 89 to 92.
regards
Jim
P.S. I have one spare cap for the early wheels.Has anyone got either a set or three.As you know they are stainless and are 7and 5/8th diameter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts