TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was curious how 17" tires handle... or don't... in the snow. After the tranny I was going to do a 13" brake upgrade forcing me to change over to 17" wheels (17x9 cobra-r's).

I am looking to go away to school in an area where there is a good amount of snowfall durring the winter. I'm a bit concerned on spending all the $$$ to have a hard to drive vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
676 Posts
Just move down to south FL and you wont have to ever worry about snow (i hope you like driving in the rain) heh
 

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Joined
·
11,719 Posts
There are 17" snow tires made, but they are quite expensive. Might be worth it to buy a beater, since you don't want your nice mn12 getting all rusty anyway...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
err... FOX, but ya.

I considered getting a beater Jeep or something for the 2 or 3 years I plan to be away... it's just that Ill miss my cat something bad. Plus with all the work I have been investing into her, to sit her out for 2 or 3 years sucks royaly!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
Not for 2 or 3 years. Just for 3 or 4 months out of the next 2-3 years.

The only thing that hurts you in snow is the wide contact patch. It reduces amount of weight per square inch under your tires. They will also push a lot more snow in front of them. But get some good all season tires, have them siped and put some weight in the back. You'll be fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,548 Posts
I don't think that Sir William has ever had the pleasure of experiencing winter driving around Long Island, NY. I'm going to venture to say that the conditions are very close to what we get here in the Toronto area. All-season tires become three-season tires.

My suggestion would be to look for a set of used 17" stock Mustang wheels if you do the bolt-pattern change as well, and get four 225-55-17 winter-only tires. Lots of used Mustang wheels around these days, anything 94 - up will work. If you're keeping the stock MN-12 pattern, maybe some used 17" Lincoln LS wheels will clear the Cobra brakes with a small spacer, or see if any of the wheel & tire stores like Tire Rack or Discount Tire have any low-priced 17" wheels on special ... they don't have to be wide, 7 or 7-1/2" is fine.

When I was driving my SC year-round, it always got 4 H-speed rated winter boots on the stock wheels for this time of year. Putting some weight in the trunk with all-season tires might be OK to get you going, but I like to turn and slow down as well. ;) For the snow, you want a narrow, long tire footprint to help cut through the snow.


cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,161 Posts
Granted. True snow tires will ALWAYS be better than any all seasons. You want them tall and narrow. Look for something around 26.5" to 27" tall and the narrower the better. Blizzaks or Artic Alpins are both great snow tires. Put 100-150lbs in the trunk and you should be fine.

90% of driving well in the snow is driver ability. The other 10% is tires. There's also about 3% luck at times....not sure where it figures in exactly.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,165 Posts
My partner bought a 2001 GT in Jan this year. The tires gave her fits in the snow. She got stuck on asphalt in 1" of snow! This year she bought some Pirrelli Winter tires from Tirerack.com. As soon as we got the first snow she showed up at work and said they were fantastic! She could drive her stang in the winter. So there must be some difference. Might look up Tirerack.com.
 

·
Fry Rice Specialist
Joined
·
4,794 Posts
i'm using 255/50/17 in the snow here and tell you....it is not fun even though it is a ultra high performance all season. too bad no more $$$ to switch and have to live it through the winter.....
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top