TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to remove wheels today in order to start on brake job. The wheels on the vehicle I had installed last summer and have not touched them since.

I have a 4 way and the 17mm side was closest match, but when turning it slips. So I'm like lets grab socket set and see what size these things really are. They are in fact 17mm - but for whatever reason the 4 way must not be exactly 17mm and is just a hair larger.

Anybody else ever have this problem???

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
If you have capped lug nuts, the size can change. They corrode from the inside and swell the cap. I replaced half of my lug nuts recently because of this. Some of them would no longer take a 19mm socket. They still functioned just fine, but I was getting tired of swapping sockets.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It ended up being problem with the 4-way. I picked up a 3/8 breaker bar to fit the 17mm socket I have and it worked fine.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I have never had a 4 way that was worth a crap. I usually add something besides the factory one that is usually also for the jack.

Horrible Fright no longer carries the ones I got for all my cars.

retracted (nice for speeding off those nuts once loose)

extended (enough leverage for the lugs tightened to 8000 ft/lbs at the shop)

And of course with most of my cars it isn't that simple:

Only certain 13/16 sockets fit in the lug holes, and instead of getting spline drive lugs I found that a 13/16 spark plug socket with the hex on the end works perfectly. I also have one locker, so I have to flip sockets twice to do one wheel.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After getting a few of the lugs off I see they are spline drive....which id partially why 4 way did not work. I could not see they were spline until getting one off since they are inset into the wheel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts