TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone can help me out here. I plan on doing the Mustang 5x4.5" hub swap. When I do I want to get some 17x8" rims and tires to match, probably 245/50R17s. But there are a lot of choices out there and since that bolt circle isn't meant for MN12 I expect that the wheels for Mustangs might have different backspacing compatibility. So,

1) what is the correct backspacing for a 17x8" wheel on a Thunderbird if the wheel I'm looking at has no offset listed? I see some wheels for old Mustangs ('67-'73) have 4.75" backspacing (Scott Drake, Legendary), others with 4.5" backspacing (Year One), others with 4.275" backspacing (Legendary), but what looks like 0 offset (another site had what seems to be a 7.0mm offset but of course no backspacing listed),

2) is it possible to modify wheels to have different/compatible backspacing? Meaning take them apart and change the backspacing. Is that only possible with 2 or 3-piece wheels? I suppose cast is out of the question.

I would actually like Magnum 500 wheels, or something very close to that look, but I don't know if that will work.

·
The Parts Guy
7,640 Posts
Typical "good" offset for a 8" wheel on this platform is around +32, which equates to about 5.75" of backspace.

Anything is possible. Wheels can be cut apart, narrowed, widened, etc. That said, I expect that the wheels you're looking at are not worth that endeavor, especially since there are plenty of off the shelf options that will bolt right on.

·
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017
1,317 Posts
I had 17x8 '01 mustang GT rims on my cougar, they were just at the point of sticking out, meaning they did not tuck in like stock rims.

·
Registered
1996 Cougar 4.6
40 Posts
After i did my hub swap i threw on some 1996 cobra wheels 17x8 and they fit perfect. Dont stick out too far and no rubbing on the inside

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
19,018 Posts
I love the way SN95 17x8”s fit, they’re all +30mm offset. Check out the earlier pages of the wheel thread, a lot of us hub swapped back then specifically to run OEM Mustang wheels

Any wheel meant for an old 60s-70s car will have closer to zero offset, you don’t want those

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Typical "good" offset for a 8" wheel on this platform is around +32, which equates to about 5.75" of backspace.

Anything is possible. Wheels can be cut apart, narrowed, widened, etc. That said, I expect that the wheels you're looking at are not worth that endeavor, especially since there are plenty of off the shelf options that will bolt right on.
I see, so I should be looking/hoping for more backspacing? Meaning 4.75" is much better than 4.275" backspacing, and more than that would be even better?

I know plenty will bolt right on, but trying to get something like a Magnum 500 wheel design results in these 4.something" backspacings. Or Budnik custom wheels for like $845 each. So if a $200 rim can be modified for my Thunderbird for something like $100 a wheel that's still waaaaay cheaper. That said, I have no idea if that's an option or who would do it (I live in L.A.) around here.

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
743 Posts
All old school magnum 500 isn't going to work and I'd bet you spend more on having them reworked than the cost of the wheels themselves.

IIRC, in 2003 and 4 there was a Mustang Mach 1 with a refreshed version of the magnum wheels. They may have been 18*9 though.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oooo, ok, the Mach 1 SVE 17x8" wheel, that's not a bad Plan B if what I really want can't happen. I wish it was closer to the real deal but at least these are under $200 a rim. Thanks.

To my original question, though, do any of you know of a place that can take apart/rebuild wheels to fit our backspacing/offsets?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Idk exactly how you take apart a cast wheel. But, I know there are companies that modify stock monocast wheels to be 3 piece deep dish wheels, so thats a possibility. I plan to do that with both a set of SC wheels and a my 96s OEM 15s. Just need to find a company name instead of a youtube video.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts