TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I got a set of really ugly cobra r's in chrome ( chipping ) with the tbird bolt pattern and 36MM offset, I used to have them mounted on my 93 supercoupe with 255 50 17, and they would rub badly in the front against the spindle. I couldnt even back up turning too much.

my question is ,lets say I go with a 255 45 17 would they rub the front of my 95 sc??

I plan to have them powder coated black, oh and the rear size im thinking 275 40 17. sound good ??:D

·
Registered
987 Posts
whats rubbing exactly?? The wheels or the tires?? Sounds as though maybe its the tires since you are considering changing sizes.

On an SC you can run either a 245-45-17/275-40-17 set OR 255-45-17/285-40-17 set. The second choice is more appealing but also more difficult to find in match sets if you want several choices.

If its the wheel that is rubbing then I would consider inspecting the control arms for wear. If the wheels only rub when turning then its obviously the front end that needs looked at for worn parts. If you can simply jack up a front corner and spin the wheel without rub its not the wheels as it should be a rigid/fixed assembly.

Hope that helps.

Brad

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow cool thanks for the quick response, the tires were rubbing but sears told me once the wheels were rubbing also. Hopefully that's not the case on my 95.

I forgot to add my car is lowered 1.5 in the front only, 285 sounds better but would it fill the wheel wells more than 275?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I had that exact size tire (255/50/17) on a 17x7.5 Cobra R wheel. The tires came within millimeters of the bolt holding the upper ball joint in place. I just used a cut off wheel to make the bolt shorter, and no problem.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Wow cool thanks for the quick response, the tires were rubbing but sears told me once the wheels were rubbing also. Hopefully that's not the case on my 95.

I forgot to add my car is lowered 1.5 in the front only, 285 sounds better but would it fill the wheel wells more than 275?
285=40-17 will work fine and will require no more modification than a 275 would.

Brad

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice 285 works great because its the same diameter for the front.. but they are $$$

and how do they fit the back ? do they stick out ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts