TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I am going to be one of "those" guys and ask a question that seemingly is answered via the SEARCH function. But I have searched extensively and haven't found my combo and therefore my answer. I got a new suspension for Christmas, I also got new wheels last October, Consists of:

17x9" Cobra R Replicas, perhaps Dante Design (it's got the fake snake in the center caps)

Tokico Fronts

Bilstein Cobra Vert Rears

1.75" Drop Vogtlands

QUESTIONS:
With almost 2" of drop will I still be able to run 255/50/17's all around without a rubbing issue? Either with the UCA or the wheel well?

If UCA rubbing is an issue, is using say a 4mm spacer safe/good idea?

With said 17x9's is running a 275 in the rear doable without rolling or modifying fender.

Thanks in advance!!!

C.Hill

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Yes I am going to be one of "those" guys and ask a question that seemingly is answered via the SEARCH function. But I have searched extensively and haven't found my combo and therefore my answer. I got a new suspension for Christmas, I also got new wheels last October, Consists of:

17x9" Cobra R Replicas, perhaps Dante Design (it's got the fake snake in the center caps)

Tokico Fronts

Bilstein Cobra Vert Rears

1.75" Drop Vogtlands

QUESTIONS:
With almost 2" of drop will I still be able to run 255/50/17's all around without a rubbing issue? Either with the UCA or the wheel well?

If UCA rubbing is an issue, is using say a 4mm spacer safe/good idea?

With said 17x9's is running a 275 in the rear doable without rolling or modifying fender.

Thanks in advance!!!

C.Hill
Not sure about the 275 rear rubbing or not... however I run 255/50/17 all around and the only thing you have to do to make them fit is clearance the upper ball joint excess, the knob that protrudes through the spindle. It doesn't hurt anything, don't fear removing it.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
275x40x17 fit on the rear of mine fine, but during the 1st hard launch, it squated and the edge on the fender cut the side of the tire near the tread.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
255/45/17s is what I run in the rear, to run that in the front I would have to whack off the bottom of the upper ball joint like mentioned. Still a little narrow for a 9 inch wheel but looks okay, better than the 245/45/17 I currently run in front. When those get worn, the 255 go in front and something a little wider goes in the rear.

I have tokico lowering springs.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Offset? That's a key player in weather they'll rub the fender(rear) or spindle(front).

You can cheat a bit in the rear with the air lift bags as well.
They are in storage, I will have to check this next week.

C.Hill

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have the 17x9 Dante Cobra R's on my '97 with the 0.75" drop Vogtland springs. Running 255/45-17s in front required a 4mm spacer. Running 285/40-17s in the rear required rolling the fender lips. As experienced by 392Bird, I gouged a tire before realizing that had to be done. Preumably even more necessary with a bigger drop.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I have Eibachs with the 17x9 03 Cobra wheels from Brad and I run 255/50-17s all the way around on it. I don't hit the knuckle, but I do rub the lip in the back a tiny bit on compression. I added airbags in the springs which took care of that.

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok so I'm a dummy, i've never really measured rims before. I measured from the lip on the back of the rim to the back side of the hub and it seemed to be 6". And from the front of the hub to the front lip was 3.5" does that help anyone determine the offset? or is that just the backspacing? Like I said I have never measured them before and don't know wtf i am doing.

They came off of a Mark viii. And the guy who was running 275/40/17's in back and 245/45/17's in front IIRC

·
shaken, not stirred
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
stangboy7,

The back spacing on the Dante 17"x9" wheel is 5.94", and the offset is +36mm.
HAHA THANK YOU!!!

But now with the known offset and backspacing....anyone have any suggestions for a 1 3/4" vogtland drop?
Because I would really love to have a 255 on the front and 275/285 on back....

Thanks again!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts